The Illusion

*Credit to Kandy Ivy Kane*

I used to work in this place, taking care of people like myself. Now, the tables have turned. How did I go from a nurse working in a mental asylum to a mental patient? I’ll tell you. You might think I’m crazy… but everyone else already does. I thought he was crazy… when he told me the reason he was in this place, I shouldn’t have spoken to him, I was just so curious. He would write all of his thoughts down, he made many attempts to kill himself but failed.

He wrote this diary for one unfortunate person to read and eventually… become like him. I think you know who that person is. Shortly after he succeeded in killing himself, I got a hold of it. I knew by the madness he spoke that seemed so serious and almost realistic that I should’ve just burned it, he made me so curious, I just had to read it. On that night, I was working late, I sat down and read it all. I can’t tell you what I read, it would just be another mistake, I’d continue his work if I did. I couldn’t risk this happening to anyone else… I go in and out of two different people, one minute I’m insane and the other, I’m normal like I am now. I’m trying really hard right now to hold on to my sanity because I have to warn people before I leave. This is the last time anyone is going to hear from me.

God, I can’t anymore, I can’t hold on, please help… help me…

~~~~~~~~~~~

Are you curious as to what I read? I’ll give you a hint.

Do you really think this world is real? Do you really think you’re surrounded by millions of people? Do you really believe your family and friends are real? Your life could all be an elaborate dream, you could really be all alone by yourself, succumbed to madness, forced to create this world and these people to comfort your sad lonely self. You’ve created everything to keep some logic in your life. God, the devil, the living, the dead. The ones in this asylum are the ones who took it too far or the ones who came to sudden realization…… You’re really just alone, there’s a way to wake up out of this illusion, but that’s the most damaging part. The part I can’t tell you.

I buried the book in the yard here when they let me outside. I can’t live like this anymore, my dreams are controlling me; who do they think they are? Trying to keep me locked in this room, they’re trying to stop me from waking up, they’re trying to keep themselves alive, well no more, if I die this will all end, it’s the only way….