Chapter 2 - Adeline

"You gotta be shitting me

"You gotta be shitting me." I groan

"Remember who you work for soldier." Commander Greyson says and I straighten up standing in front of his desk

"Sorry sir but I really don't see the need for all of this, I can handle it." I reply

"You sure handled it First Sergeant Johnson. Now I got an asset lost in the field and a target in the wind. I want you out of here while the heat dies down. I will not have this operation compromised because of your ego." Commander Greyson orders, first mission I've not completed. I don't understand how it went wrong.

"Here's where you're headed, I want you gone by sun up tomorrow and I've put your team on R & R until further notice." He says as he hands me a file and I salute before heading out of his office. I walk through the corridors and down to the locker room and begin removing my uniform

"You decent Johnson?" I hear from the doorway

"Who gives a fuck?" I question as I stand there in my bra and panties

"Damnit Johnson you could've said no." He groans as he covers his eyes and I laugh

"Oh please, that op in Afghan you saw way more of me than this sweetie." I reply as I put on my shirt and sit down to slip on my jeans

"Happy now?" I ask and he uncovers his eyes

"Yeah. I just wanted to see you before you leave, I'm sorry it all went to shit but I pulled some strings to get you a decent set up to lay low in." He says sitting down beside me

"Oh yeah? Some swanky hotel with a spa?" I ask and he laughs

"Hell no I wouldn't put you somewhere that fancy, you'd be going crazy in a week, trust me you're gonna love it, you're staying with my sisters family in North Carolina."

"Scarlett? I can't wait to meet her, from what you've told me she seems pretty awesome." Wilson and I have spent a lot of time together over the years working together in the army and this secret op. He thought his sister was dead for a while but found her and now she's got a man and is happy, he always lights up when he talks about her.

"Well I better head out, don't wanna piss off the boss any more than I already have." I shrug as I stand up and pull my bag from my locker.

"I'll keep in touch through Scarlett and you'll be back here soon enough." He says as he pulls me in for a hug

"See you round Mikey." I say as I head for the door

"Stop calling me that Addy." He replies and I laugh as I head for the parking garage.

I climb into my 59 Pontiac Bonneville, Cherry red with a white top, Bernadette the love of my life. I fire up the engine and listen to her purr, I back out and drive out of the 'abandoned' building into Brooklyn. My apartment is only a 30 minute drive as I park up and take the elevator.

"I'm home." I shout to no one as I enter my apartment, growing up in a huge family in Texas I hate living alone, I went right from moms to basic training so I never lived alone until now. I drop my bag on my bed and head for the closet. I slide back the dresses I've never worn and enter the code into the panel, I hear a click and the wall opens up to my weapons storage closet.

"Well Bessie looks like we're going on a road trip." I say to my precious M110 rifle as I pull her from the shelf and place her in the storage case. I take out a few fake ID's and a burner phone and add them to my bag. I pack quickly and efficiently just the basics plus a few photos that go with me on every tour. I go over to the jewellery cabinet and look at the wedding ring on my finger. I always take it off for missions, but this isn't a mission remember. I hesitate for a minute, studying the simple gold band before deciding to leave it on and heading out to the kitchen. I take a trash bag and dump all my food, putting the bottles of water in my bag, and head out.

"See you soon." I say to my empty apartment as I lock up and head for the elevator. I dump the trash and load up my car before peeling out of the garage and into the night.

I drive until I'm in Maryland and pull up at a gas station. I fill up the tank and grab some snacks for the road before unsealing and opening the file Commander Greyson gave me for the safe house.

Broken Demons MC, North Carolina Mother Chapter. I study the information they have on the club, looks like this'll be more fun than laying low in a cabin in the woods. I know Wilson told me a few things and that they don't exactly follow the law but hell neither do I.

I put the file in my bag, making a note to destroy it later and turn on the engine. I turn up the stereo and Devildriver fills the car as I head out of the gas station and hit the road.

I stay off of the highways and take backroads to ensure I'm not followed as I begin my eight hour drive to the MC.

The sun has risen as I cross the state line into North Carolina and it doesn't take me long to find the cute little town I'm staying in. As I drive through I see all the little stores and boutiques. I also noticed a salon and a tattoo parlour both sporting the Broken Demons logo, I wonder how much property they own out here? Are they protectors of the town or tormentors? I'm sure I'll find out.

I drive out of the town and come up to the clubs compound, stopping in front of the gate. A young guy in a leather cut walks up to my window and I lower it

"Can I help you ma'am?" He asks and I cringe at the name that makes me feel old

"Your club is expecting me." I say and he looks at me confused. I thought it was all set up, if this is a set up bitches are gonna catch these hands.

"Mike sent me?" I question and he only looks more confused if possible

"Hang on." He says as he pulls out his cell and makes a call. Within seconds he hangs up the call and opens the gate before waving me through.