|Nineteen|

Natalie
Four months later. . .

*****

My father went to a post-stroke care facility after his initial rehabilitation in the hospital. He gained consciousness, but had difficulty with his speech and walking. His left arm was rigid. He was understandably frustrated.

He would push his food away as we tried feeding him. He didn't eat for days at a time.
He became despondent with a vacant stare. I finally scolded him. "I know this can't be easy for you, but you need strength to recover. You have to eat Daddy." His hazel eyes pooled with tears.

I couldn't believe I called him Daddy. It flew out of my mouth effortlessly. I started developing a familial attachment to my father. He was no longer Lucas Dunbar. He meant something to me.

The slightest things caused him to display emotion. This was unheard of for Lucas Dunbar. It even tugged at Nicole's heart strings. I stayed in Savannah for a couple of weeks to be near him and to help June, April, and Nicole.

Mimi wasn't strong enough for heavy tasks. But she would sit by his bedside and read to him. The tears ran down his eyes in a steady stream as she read like he was her little boy, again.

Nicole even brought Evelyn for regular visits. She loved showing Pop pop her pictures she made him. She was the highlight of his day. He would try to smile and give her a half hug with his right arm. He was still in speech therapy.

Evelyn was trying to help him say her name. It was so endearing.

June touched my shoulder blade and I spun around towards her. "Natalie, I'm so happy that you've been able to help during this extremely difficult process. I want to thank you for giving your father and I the chance that we didn't deserve."

She hesitated. "Sorry can't undo years of damage. But I thank you for everything that you've done," she became tearful at the end.

Her small arms pulled me into a warm embrace. She unleashed a torrential downpour of unceasing tears.

I held onto her shaking body for quite a while. Nicole entered the room with her eyes wide with surprise. I signaled to her not to speak. She backed away quietly. No one would have expected this from June.

She was a woman in pain, who had her own story to tell. We all do. . . I can't kick a person when they're down. So I listened, nodding my head as she expounded on her story of her and my father.

*****

I hated to leave and go back to Seattle. But I had to get Liliana Meets Miles the Explorer in full swing. I drew the character based on the photograph that Miles gave me. He is the cutest book character ever—not that I'm partial.

Publishing began and it hit the bookstores everywhere. Miles the explorer was an overnight sensation. And became every little girl's crush. Now I want to head back to Savannah to see my real life, Miles.

We talk on the phone, text, and FaceTime everyday for the past four months. I miss him so much. He still owes me a carriage ride. Someone passed me on the sidewalk yesterday wearing Miles' cologne. I wanted to burst into tears. I know I gotta get a grip.

My agent has me committed to a lot of book signings. Parents are thrilled to bring their little girls and boys. They are overjoyed that I wrote a book for boys too!

My publisher couldn't be happier. Sales are through the roof. My lip curves into a smile with my head down, as I'm signing the new books. My mind somehow manages to wander back to Miles.

I love seeing his face, and hearing the sound of his deep rich voice at the end of the day. We're making our relationship a priority in-spite of the distance. My brother makes gagging sounds whenever we FaceTime.