TEN

Is it too late to turn around?

---

LANDO

I let out a cry as I smashed my hand against the boxing pads in my early morning training session. This was the only opportunity I would get to properly take my anger out on something that was not myself. I would scream and cry as my hand made contact with the hard material of the pads which were held in front of me. I hit it over and over, smacking my right hand against the pads and crying as I shortly fell to the ground, my body collapsing into a bundle on the floor. My head hung between my legs as I felt a reassuring hand on my shoulder.

"Lando mate, you know it'll blow over. You know how much she loves you," I could only shake my head as I unfastened the velcro of the boxing gloves. I didn't want to stay here any longer, I wasn't sure how long I'd even been training for. I was exhausted, mentally and physically. My body felt so weak and so distant from everyone and everything. "Let's call it a day. Go home and rest up. Drop me a message when you're feeling up to training again."

I dragged my feet along the gravel towards my car. Even lifting my toes off of the ground was uncomfortable. I didn't have the strength to carry my own body weight around anymore. Living without even hearing Isabelle's voice was absolute torture. I was so drained and there was no way in hell I would be prepared enough for the next race. I wasn't excited to be back in the car. Everything was harder without Issy by my side. I had no motivation, no energy, no nothing, because I didn't have her. Since I drove to her apartment the morning after our argument, I'd not spoken to her. I didn't even know if she was alive, so I was living on edge all of the time. I knew she wouldn't do that to me. She always told me that no matter how hard her life became, she would never hurt me like that. I trusted her and I believed her when she told me that - I knew she really meant it and whether we were speaking or not, I knew she would never do it to herself, or me.

I wanted to make it up to her. I would have done anything if it meant we could go back to the better times for us. I knew myself how tough my career was, and how much of a strain it was putting on our relationship and on Isabelle. I was capable of changing things, improving them and making her smile for longer this time. I just wanted to see her smiling. I wanted to sit by her side, holding her hand and caressing her skin with my fingertips whilst telling her how beautiful she was. Or, I wanted her to lie comfortably with her head in my lap, my fingers running through each strand of her hair as I told her how much I loved her. I really hoped that she remembered that I was so eternally in love with her and that she was my beautiful girl. That her heart was my home, where I was safest and most comfortable, the place I wanted to be forever. I wanted to go back to when she came to each race with me, cheering me on from the garage as she sat with my team, a proud grin plastering her lips. I always looked forward to leaving the car and rushing to be with her, taking her back to our hotel proudly, where we would either sleep soundly or we wouldn't sleep at all. I wanted nothing more than to be happy with her again.

I couldn't help but think about how nervous I was on the evening I asked her to be my girlfriend as I drove down each familiar road on my way home. I was terrified, I'd never felt such a way about anybody in my life, never mind a girl. Even though my racing career was just taking off, I knew I wanted somebody to share each day with and I also knew that Isabelle was the exact person I wanted. Nobody would ever be able to make me as happy as she did. We'd been out for a walk, to enjoy the summer evening after grabbing something to eat after I knocked on her door and dragged her outside. Her fingers were lingering between mine, as she walked closely to my side. I stopped at a bench, tugging on her wrist as a way to ask her to sit beside me. My legs were shaking enough to stop me from walking, as my body filled with fear. She looked at me, a small chuckle eliciting from her lips as she placed her hand securely on my thigh.

"What is it, Lando? You're shaking like a leaf," Her laugh was like music to my ears. So reassuring and so calming, yet the fear only rose even more as I turned to face her. I couldn't get any words out of my mouth, nothing would form as a coherent sentence in my brain and I was struggling to process the situation I found myself in. "Lando."

"Sorry," I glanced away, my eyes stuck on the concrete pavement before us, my lips beginning to tremble as I felt a nauseous feeling in my stomach. "I'm just nervous."

"Why? What's going on? You know you can talk to me about it." Issy's fingers began to brush against the rough material of my jeans in a calming manner, moving up and down against my leg as she inched a little closer to my side. This was my best friend who was sitting right beside me - I couldn't understand why I felt so nervous about asking her something I believed I already knew the answer to. I just wanted to make it official. I wanted her to be mine.

"Isabelle," I took her hands between mine and bit down so hard on my lip that I nearly drew blood from the skin. I exhaled, closing my eyes as I squeezed her fingers. "Would you like to be my girlfriend?"

She didn't speak for a few seconds, but I could see the joy completely engulfing her. Her facial features lit up and she almost jumped into my arms, nodding her head as she left kisses against my neck.

"Yes! I never thought you would actually ask me," Isabelle exclaimed as she fell by my side. "I would love to be your girlfriend, Lando Norris. I love you."

"I love you." I reached for her body, grabbing the side of her oversized shirt (which actually belonged to me) and pulling her closer to me. I caught her lips between my teeth, causing her to let out a gentle mutter, as her hands reached out for my waist. I felt her body grow limp in my arms, so I pulled her in even further towards me. This kiss was unlike any other that we'd shared previously. The amount of love and passion between the pair of us was so clear, it was so obvious that we had undying love for one another.

"Lando," Issy leaned back, her breathing a little heavy, as a tear slipped down her cheek from her eyes. I was quick to brush my index finger against it, wiping away the small tear from beneath her eye. She smiled as she looked up into my eyes. "I want to stay with you forever."

"Hey, I promise you that's what will happen. You aren't leaving me," I held onto her shoulder as I pulled her closer into my warmth. "I'm not going anywhere."

I'd been sitting in my car, in my normal parking space in front of my apartment, for forty minutes now, simply holding my head on the wheel and allowing the tears to form a wet mark on my shorts. I wanted my mum - I wanted her to hold me and tell me it would all turn out perfectly fine, just like she used to when I was little. She always knew best. I couldn't bring myself to move. My body was so stricken with sadness and grief, I never imagined heartbreak to feel like this, but it felt as if I was dying. I leaned my head back and allowed a distressed groan to leave my lips. I didn't want to live like this anymore, but I could not show up on Isabelle's doorstep again and ask her to come back with me as if everything was normal again. As much as I wished it was, it would never be normal between us after this.

As I sat in my car, surrounded by my own tears, I made one simple wish. I asked myself if it was too late for us to turn back around and go back to the day in the park, when I asked her to be my girlfriend, whilst I trembled in her arms. I missed her. I needed her to be willing enough to give me a second chance; I wasn't going to fuck it up this time.

---

i'm thinking of starting another story, again with a formula 1 driver (no spoilers) and based off of a song, yet a little different to the layout of this one. what do you think? yes? no? comment here to let me know :) also a big thank you for so many reads!