THIRTY SIX

I forgot to love you, love you, love you

---

LANDO

"Lando Norris?" A deep voice met my ear as I answered my phone and held it against the side of my face. I rubbed my eyes as i grumbled in response to the person on the other end of the line. It was eleven at night, I'd been asleep for around two hours, so I was concerned as to who was ringing me at this hour. "I'm afraid your fiancée, Isabelle Martin, has been in a serious incident and has been rushed into hospital."

I froze, my heart seeming to come to an abrupt stop as his words replayed in my head. Isabelle. Incident. Hospital.

"She is currently unconscious and is being treated by doctors," the man explained as I scrambled out of bed, my breathing heavy as I collected my clothes from a pile on the floor. "I suggest you come down to the hospital as soon as you possibly can."

"Thank you." I muttered a quick reply, before the call ended and I threw my phone into the pocket of my hoodie. I didn't collect anything apart from my keys before I rushed out of the apartment. I didn't want to wait for the lift so I took the stairs, almost losing my footing as I ran down each step.

The doctor didn't sound too hopeful. She was unconscious and currently being treated by doctors. Maybe I wouldn't be as terrified if he'd told me she was conscious. Fuck. I needed to be with her as soon as I possibly could. I didn't want to leave her any longer because I knew she would want me to be there. Her parents would kill me for letting this happen to her. I was going to have to call them and tell them what was going on when I arrived at the hospital.

I climbed into my car, speeding away from my apartment complex within seconds. My hands were sweating as they remained in contact with the steering wheel. I started crying as soon as the phone call ended, my heart rate erratic as I sped through the streets, hoping I wouldn't come close to any speed cameras. I just needed to be by Isabelle's side, in case she woke up and was confused. She would be traumatised if I wasn't there and she woke up with only nurses and doctors surrounding her.

Every second seemed to last for a lifetime, with the journey to the hospital lasting for what felt like years and years on end. I couldn't catch my breath, my tears were slipping from the skin on my cheeks and into my mouth. I winced at the bitter salty taste as my tears fell against my tongue, my vision blurred as I drove faster along the road. It felt like I'd been stabbed in the chest, the knife still lodged through my body with a severe stinging sensation building around my heart. I felt hollow, like each organ had been taken away, leaving me completely empty. The thought of Isabelle lying in a hospital bed with God knows what injuries made me feel sick to my stomach. I was afraid of what I was going to see on my arrival at the hospital. I just wanted her to be alright, as we were so ready to start the next chapter of our lives together.

I ran out of the car, locking it behind me as I stopped at the reception desk, heaving as I looked at the woman behind the glass.

"Isabelle. Isabelle Martin? I received a call saying she was here," I explained, tugging on my messy hair as I looked desperately around the waiting room. "I'm her boyfriend, Lando Norris. Please, please let me see her."

The woman looked at me sadly and I felt my heart split in two. I was too fucking late. She stepped away from her spot at the desk and beckoned for me to follow her.