Chapter 4: Toothless

The trek through the thick forest took hours. My legs were already aching and my feet were numb from holding up the weight of my body. I looked at Hiccup He was standing straight, not even the slightest of limps in his step. How was he not tired.

“Are we almost there yet?” I asked.

He looked back at me. “Why? Tired already?”

“Yes. Aren't you?”

“No. I used to walk around the perimeter of my island when I was little, looking for things that drifted up on shore. It was about the size of this one.”

My jaw dropped. Berk was big. It was the third largest island in the archipelago. Our village was only on a small fraction of the island.

“Do you realize how crazy that sounds?”

“Yes.”

Yes? Just yes? Alright then.

“Where are we going anyways?” I asked.

“A small cove I... found.”

I almost missed the hesitation in his voice, but it was there. “And why are we going to this cove?”

“You'll see.”

You'll see? Did this guy ever explain his answers?

Several minutes later, he stopped short, and I ran into his back.

“Whats wrong?” I asked.

“We're here.” I looked around him and saw a crack in the rock face that lead into a bigger area.

“Great. Let's go,” I said walking towards the entrance, but he grabbed my arm.

“Wait.”

“What?” I asked.

“You need to promise me something first. You can't tell anyone about what I'm about to show you. And, try not to freak out.

His eyes were pleading. What would be so bad that I wouldn't be able tell anyone? A troll? “I can't promise that,” I responded. He chuckled. He chuckled? I thought this was serious?

“Then don't freak out.”

He went ahead of me and into the crack in the stone wall, then he disappeared

“Hiccup?” I called.

“Down here!” I looked down, and there he was, 12 feet below me.

“Did you jump?” I asked.

“No, I fell when you weren't looking.” I heard the sarcasm in his voice.

“Very funny. How am I supposed to get down?”

“You could jump and I could catch you.”

“No thanks, I'd rather not.”

“Okay, then the alternative is climbing down. There's ledges in the rock face.”

Much better. I thought. I turned around and got on my knees. With my right leg I searched for the first ledge and lowered myself. Then the same with my left leg. When I found the next ledge again with my right leg, it gave out and crumbled. I was left dangling from the ledge with both hands.

“Hiccup!”

“Drop! I'll catch you!”

“Are you insane? I'm not dropping!”

“I'll catch you, I promise!”

“Hiccup I swear to Odin if you don't catch me-”

“I'll catch you, stop being so stubborn.”