Chapter 21- Blackblood

'I guess...it's time for me to speak his name. Please, refrain from making assumption that I bear hatred for that name because that is completely untrue. The love I have...(cough)....used to have...I mean I do. I still do. The love for Sylvan Turner is immortal. Let me tell you about him now.'

— Charlotte Turner, Age 15, Pre-med Student. Location: Raleigh, North Carolina.
Subject's Doctor- Dr. Vita Brown, PhD, Child Psychology

San Diego, Sixteen Years Ago

I gripped my surfing hoard tight, holding it for the dearest life. Even though the waves were lapping on sand quite a distance away, I dared not to let the foamy splatter touch my feet. The roaring waves which used to be beautiful and acted as inspiration for my paintings suddenly looked really gargantuan and I was sure their intention was to swallow me whole and toss my body somewhere off coast of Hawaii or Mexico...if sharks didn't get me first of course.

Up above, the early morning sun was still forcing dawn to surrender in its glare and even though doused with sunscreen which my mother bathed me with, I feared for the approaching sunburn. I sniffed.

"Lola, are you gonna stand there whole day? Don't tell me, the five year old girl who is interested to solve laplacian operation within seconds is afraid of small waves?"

Turning behind, I saw my thirteen year old cousin Sylvan running from patio of our beach house while his mouth worked like his legs. I struck my tongue out to him. He was mocking me about laplacian operation because he knew I hated maths while he, the golden boy had already graduated from high school and had enrolled in college just a week ago. It wasn't Harvard thankfully or else I would hear him moaning about it in my face all day.

Coming near me, he planted his surf board beside, "What are we waiting for?"

Even though only thirteen, he was tall for his age—my uncle's genes but lanky. His hair was still messed up from sleep but in his hazel eyes, only excitement lingered. Today was the day when I would begin learning surfing but instead of excitement, I was very scared.

"Easy for you to say, Sylvan." I whined, pulling my board as my buddy, "You won annual surfing competition this year."

"You know how awesome I am right? Now come one, stop being a baby and lets feel the waves." He ruffled my hair and I pouted at him, "Humph!"

Sylvan grinned, eyes unnaturally reflecting the orangy sky, "You know why I wanted you to learn surfing this summer? Because...I know you are going to love it, Lola. We are made for water. We are born from water and without it, life isn't possible. Greeks used to postulate that the world was inanimate and water included all divinities. Why, they are goofy enough to be wrong but there's something different while we are in water."

"Chirp-chirp, let me gaggle few of my philosophy friends." I glared at him.

"That isn't philosophy. Its ancient science."

"Which was wrong."

His lips twitched, "Well....we all have to start from mistakes."He gripped my arm gently. I shivered, from the fear of my incoming doom.

"Dear God, please prevent my body from getting decayed and let the fish feast on me instead." I mumbled a silent prayer.

Sylvan gave me an odd look before that mischief in his eyes returned and he picked me up! I was much smaller than my cousin and could do nothing but protest when he hurled me towards the sea. I bounced on his hold like ping-pong ball and banged my little fists on him. He wouldn't budge. One look behind made my eyes widen when waves crashed together in a violent white blanket on the shore. My god, watching them was one thing but going into them...mother would be angry.