Chapter 35- It's Expulsion Business

'It was the summer when countdown began for my family's end. I wasn't aware that there was a clock ticking over our heads, erasing another second of our lives. We could have slowed it with forgiveness. We could have slowed it with love and comfort. We could have stopped it with truth. But we did nothing other than speeding the clock of destruction.'

—Charlotte Turner, DN3457, Atlanta Institute of Child and Behavioural Psychology

San Diego, Eleven Years Ago...

Three days after Sylvan was diagnosed with ALS, it was time to depart.

I sat outside examination room beside my uncle and aunt. It wasn't their kindness which brought me today but their absence of thoughts. Sylvan consumed their minds but it was my heart which was corroded by acid.

Instead of ruminating, I focused on something else in order to be not seen fidgeting in nervousness.

I'd been to many medical centers—mostly when mother was around. Couldn't say my childhood was fairies and unicorns. At age of eleven, I was honed in anatomy and physiology. I could list all medical procedures available. Name every cellular reaction that took place in living world. Name every family of viruses discovered till date. I could name capital and main city of every country. I could calculate stupefying digits in mind. My multiplication and division scared my tutors. My chemistry was impeccable. My physics was memorable. My English was better than anyone twice my age. I was that perfect daughter of my father.

But that daughter knew nothing to aid her cousin.

And then, everything was just ashes on wind.

The door opened and, my father and Sylvan walked out.

Father appeared neither relieved nor sad. Instead, his brow crested in a thoughtful expression, a rare sight indeed. I recalled seeing him nearly out of conduct before Sylvan and pondered where did 'that' love come from? Wasn't he the one who ordered to have him whipped? Monster.

Sylvan.... just looked blank. He was staring to the floor as if world itself was in it. I stepped towards them but my uncle blocked me.

"Stay here." He ordered. I complied as they converged together and discussed in hushed tones. My hearing was dunned for these days from that constant irritating heart monitor beep but I observed their tensed mannerisms.

Why wasn't Sylvan looking at me?

I started tapping involuntarily and that drew my father's attention who frowned, "What is Charlotte doing here?"

My aunt blinked as if seeing me for first time, "Shawn, did you bring her here?"

"I did." Uncle Shawn spared a look in my direction, "She was rampaging in house. When's Marlene coming?"

Hearing this, my father's lips pursed into a thin line. Displeased. "She'll be home soon."

This monster of man shooed her away. Be happy she hadn't had divorced him yet. I perked up on that thought...if my mother divorced father then I could take Sylvan and run away to Raleigh or Montpelier.

And then father would come hunting us three down. My shoulders sagged.

"He will be fine, Shawn." my father said and rested a hand on his brother's shoulder. Father always looked decades younger than his age and with Shawn's pronounced lines, it was more evident between the brothers.