Chapter 59- Fate of Edenbrook

My mother was exactly the same I had last seen her, two years ago. She was petite like me, but for some reason, she stood the tallest among the eight board of directors who had just arrived accompanied by a team of medical police.

The audience abruptly ended their celebration as they finally recognised the gold badge encarved with a caduceus, the very sign of Apollo they wore. The pride they carried with them and the essence of Medical world.

"What the hell..." Harper said in a low voice behind me, "Who called them?"

I made a surprised expression even though I knew, "Did you like...wait, was I supposed to get arrested by them?"

"I have no idea, Dr. Turner." She calmly replied. The other board members, too had their faces neutral and still. All except Dr. Carlisle whose face which was beet red moments ago, had paled degrees below.

As the AB approached, I quietly scooted out of the panel, and took my place back at the front seat. My mother had yet to acknowledge me but I knew she had seen me. Her eyes were sharper than the sharpest ones, she would find me in a crowd of thousand even without blinking once. Like I had earlier no idea about the Edenbrook Board members, AB except my mom were also unknown to me.

"Doctors! What a pleasant surprise!" Declan adjusted his tie and made a motion to move forward. One of the AB shot him a look to stay in his place. I saw Declan gulping.

Good. He must be thinking about calling his lawyers, even though he had no idea what was going on. That was what goes on the minds of such rats, when they carry out dipshit business behind the eyes.

Harper politely moved from the Panel and received each of the members, her smile chirped. She stayed an extra second, shaking hands with my mother. I knew there was bad blood between both of them, but had to give credit that neither of the women ever brought their rivalry to other spheres.

Then mom turned in my direction, her murkier hazel eyes, darker than mine meeting me.

How did you expected your mother to greet you after almost two years? Running and rounding for a bone crushing hug? Kissing like the sun blown wind?

My mother was nothing like that.

"Charlotte." She nodded one.

"Mother." I nodded back.

She then turned her attention back to Harper.

"Chief Emery, I believe you are taken aback by our sudden appearance here." Mother spoke, her voice smooth and cold at the same time. Harper didn't flinch.

"Can't say we expected more guests." She coolly replied.

A hush fell over the crowd as they took in the scene. My eyes found Rafael's first, and I gave a slight nod. Then to Sienna and then to Bryce.

My mother brought out a silver coloured file, shinning like it was made up of metal. Maybe it was. Who knew how rich these guys carried with them?

"In the happenance that our board precedes, Edenbrook is America's most prestigious hospital in the Northern continent. It has the potential to become the best in the world, if given circumstances. However." She paused and narrowed her eyes slightly, her blond hair combed perfectly to her shoulders. She looked young, even though she was in her forties, "We have received...conflicting counterstatements. About this place. Specifically about the Research and Development Bureau."

Harper frowned slightly, "Whatever you mean, Doctor?"

My mother motioned to a tall man beside her, wearing an Armani suit, "Chief Emery, Edenbrook has been carrying out unregistered and undocumented...not to mention unethical trials on several drugs. Involving patients."