Chapter 54- Fighting Chance

I was startled awake when the flash of light fell on my eyes. They snapped open to the canopy of gold, bright amid the blue, bidding the stars to take their nightly rest. The surreal moment almost took my breath away as I saw the lights of thousand stars surrendering their distance to one particular of our solar system. Half the sky above was in the stage of darkest blue and the other in a myriad of vibrancy.

Nearby the rhythmic breathing of Ethan implied that he was steady asleep. He was lying on his stomach with one hand under his head and the other draped over my waist. When he slept...he looked peaceful. Like really at rest. I knew he was working even harder since he was out of job and plus tirelessly trying to help in my case. He needed rest. He had worked his whole life for others.

And he deserved to rest too.

I ran my hand over his soft hair, feeling the gentleness of the touch. With the dawn in the background, it formed a deep halo around him. And his face, as I ran my fingers on the perfect counters, beating the signs of aging to look inhumanly handsome still.

I got up, clutching the blanket against my naked body.

I gently detached his arm from my frame and he didn't stir. We had slept in the balcony itself, under the stars. I walked inside the room and picked up my fallen clothes, blushing furiously. Then my attention went to my cell which was buzzing with texts. I scowled at the first one,

'Get Landry's stuff out before I burn them, or help me with it :(' – Jackie

I had to get back to my apartment. I had to study a bit on medical laws so that it could help me...tomorrow. I sighed. Tomorrow. Damn. Just one day till my hearing.

It's alright...you could still do it. Stand. Charlotte, stand.

I walked back to the balcony and shook Ethan awake. His eyes opened to display the bright brilliant blue, complete different from the dark the last night had. I wondered if it was still due to light or some kind of rare genetic mutation. I forced him to move back to the bed and he immediately slumped there, grunting something. Man, he was really tired.

Pressing light kisses to his face, and taking in every detail of his face which even in the state of slumber was breath-taking, I closed his apartment door and walked back to mine.

-XXXXXXXXX-

When I brought the medical law book from the library, the librarian looked at me strangely since it was once in a century case that someone would buy it at 6 am in the morning. I then went to the coffee shop and brought hazelnut cappuccino before making my way to the apartment.

By the time I reached there, I was half drowned consoling Mia on the phone.

"Yeh! I saw it and I loved to hate it!" I replied back to her earlier statement. On the other side, she made a sniffing sound.

"I can't believe they killed my Tony, my beloved Tony! Who is going to make those Mark IIIs and his daughter....I love him 3000.." she sniffed again. I sighed and smiled to myself. Mia and I were like avid marvel fans and after watching Endgame, she was a roller coaster. I on the other hand had another issue, "Uh, I can't believe they killed Nat. I mean she was the heart and soul of the MCU. I really love her. Man that wasn't fair."

I really did, Black Widow was my favourite character and when she...well when she sacrificed herself, I cried straight for ten minutes there in the hall, resting my head on Sienna. But I was happy that her solo movie was coming soon and I hoped that they found a way to bring her back. Or else I will join signing petitions like I did with Game of Thrones.