2. Why Don't You Just Drop Dead?

(Patrick's P.O.V)

"What do you want to talk about?" I demanded. "I highly doubt you'd have a decent conversation with me because you remind me of a caveman. All of you do. With all your grunting and all your punching each other in the arm then laughing after it."

I quickly snapped my mouth shut and took another step back. I waited for the blow to the face but Pete smiled instead. I watched as he crossed his arms over his chest with that beautiful smirk on his face. I could feel my heart pound in my chest. I tried to slow it down but I knew it wouldn't slow until Pete stopped smirking.

"Good one Stump," Pete said. "I can see that you've been observing my group quite well."

"Wow a full sentence. I'm impressed," I said.

My eyes widened and I slapped a hand over my mouth. Did I have a death wish? Pete chuckled quietly as he leaned against the hood of his car. I waited for him to throw a punch at me but he didn't. Did he truly think I was funny?

"I thought you were quiet and nice," Pete pointed out.

I shrugged my shoulders. "I usually am but you kinda annoy me."

Pete raised an eyebrow at me and placed a hand delicately over his heart. "What have I ever done to you?"

It was my turn to show my skepticism. "What haven't you done? That would be a better question."

Pete seemed shocked. He must not have known that this part of my existed, the part of me that wouldn't take any crap from anyone. To be honest, I didn't know it existed after all I've never had the opportunity to be a smartass to the people that had bullied me. I crossed my arms over my chest in an attempt to show Pete that he did not bother me.

"I knew that it was a mistake to contact you," Pete muttered.

"What do you even want to talk about?" I asked.

"I heard you playing guitar in music yesterday and I realized that you can help me with a song I'm working on," Pete replied.

"Why do you think I'll help you?" I asked.

"Because I can keep the others from hurting you and it's to impress someone who's really special to me," Pete replied.

Tempting, a very tempting offer. I could walk down the hallways without being pushed around but did I want to help Pete impress someone he liked. A better question is, why would I help someone who has forced me to feel as if I was alone? Pete waited for a response from me but I don't think I want to answer him. Sure I wouldn't be bullied anymore but did I really want to help Pete. I looked him in the eyes and my heart skipped a beat. What the hell was with my heart?

"So do we have a deal Stump?" Pete asked.

"It's Patrick," I snapped. I calmed myself down before I spoke again. "I'll help you as long as you keep your end of the deal and if you promise to stop calling me Stump."

Pete grinned at me and pushed himself away from his car with his one of his arms outstretched. I hesitated before reaching out and shaking Pete's hand. It felt weird knowing that I had made a deal with him. It felt as if I had just made a deal with the devil. I ripped my hand away from Pete's and crossed my arms back over my chest.

"Thanks for this," Pete whispered.

"Yeah you're lucky that I'm doing this," I muttered.

"How am I lucky?" Pete asked with a smirk on his face.

"Because I highly doubt that you'll keep your end of the deal," I replied.

Pete placed a hand on my shoulder and grinned at me. "You honestly think I'll back out on my word. Patrick, I asked you to do this because I told myself that I'll stop my friends from hurting you because it irritates me. Besides I know that you write songs and I know you actually play an instrument."