~8~

"Well... there's a lot to the story. I'll start at the beginning," Colby squeezed my hand gently. "When I was born, everything was fine, for the first few years. My mom, my dad, my brother and me. It was all sunshine and rainbows. Then everything changed when I got a little older. When I was about five years old I think, my brother was eight, and my dad started drinking. All the time. He'd either be drinking by himself in our basement or down at the pub. It got to the point he would pass out within a couple hours he was so intoxicated. That was when he started h... h-hitting us. First it was my mom, then about a year later it was me and G-Gage. I put up with this until I was around seven, that was when he got arrested. It wasn't for abuse though. It was for..." I was listening contently, my thumb caressing the soft skin of his hand, trying my best to comfort him. A gentle sob escaped him. I pulled him into a hug.
"It's okay. If you want to stop there, then do so. I won't be mad," I whispered directly into his ear, rubbing his back softly and playing with his brown, soft hair.
"No, you deserve to know the full story. I'll c-carry on," he pulled away from my chest and continued. "He was put in jail for m-m-murder. When he was d-down at the pub one night... him and a couple friends k-killed an innocent guy. That broke my mom. She started doing anything to numb the pain. First it was just cigarettes, then slowly progressed to marijuana and then she started experimenting with all sorts... I was around 12 when I realised I was gay. I told her, expecting her to understand. She hated it. She hurt me. She beat me. She yelled at me, but I couldn't help it. She still does d-drugs to this day, she won't stop. Gage moved away a year ago, so he's away from all of it. She treats me like shit, so I started fighting back. I've never hit her, I never would, but I've yelled back at her. I have no respect left for her. I know I can't really blame her for my dad going into jail but I can blame her for doing drugs. Being irresponsible. For not caring. I hate living there. Sometimes she still hits me, so I spend most of my time up in my bedroom. I hate her," he finished, tears threatening to fall.
"Colby..." I pulled him into the biggest bear hug I possibly could. That was when the tears started. I felt my hoodie dampen, but that didn't stop me from holding him. The guys must've known something was going down because they left us alone. He didn't stop crying for a solid 10 minutes. In those ten minutes, I held him tight, played with his soft locks and whispered comforting things like, 'it's okay', 'I'm here for you' and 'you're okay'.
"Can we go back to the guys?" He croaked, moving his face away from my chest. I wiped away a stray tear.
"Of course, Colbs," I kept my arm around him as we walked towards the others. They'd settled on a patch of grass in the shade. It was hot today. I sat down next to Jake, Colby on the other side of me.
"Hey," I said, keeping my arm around Colby.
"What happened?" Reed asked.
"N-Nothing," I stuttered, looking down at the grass beneath me.
"Fair enough," Reed answered with a shrug. "Are y'all okay though?" Aaron asked. Colby nodded shakily.
"Yeah," I mumbled.
"If you need to leave at any time we understand," Jake said in an abnormal authorised tone, followed by a laugh. Everyone else was soon laughing, including me and Colby. I know what happened now. And it was a terrible story, Colby didn't deserve any of that.
"Anyone wanna play football?" Corey asked with a grin. The rest of us cheered and got up to participate.

(690)
Double update :0 I hope you enjoy this book! Please give feedback, it's much appreciated