Chapter 19 - Swimming closer to you

Like a deer in headlights, Plan stood immobilised in the doorframe of the changing room.

He was caught in a nightmare. Or a dream. His brain didn't process it properly anymore. It could be either. Just proof his brain wasn't perfect.

The person swimming in the pool was Mean, who was now looking back at him with the same expression of utter surprise Plan himself showed.

It... no.

No. No. No.

This wasn't happening. This wasn't... this couldn't be Mean's pool.

He couldn't... no.

Plan refused to believe this. He couldn't have accidentally moved into Mean's pool house.

This was the nightmare part.

He hadn't even thought about the possibility that he might know the people living in the big mansion. He had naively thought that he didn't know any rich people – and despite knowing that Mean was rich, he just... the possibility had never crossed Plan's mind.

He was living on the property of fricking Mean's family of all people.

The guy he had gone on a sort of romantic date with, thinking he would never see him again. The leader of White Hand. While Plan was just... he didn't know what he was these days anymore, people kept telling him he was a genius and he was tired of fighting it.

The lesson was just... that he shouldn't have agreed to go on a date with a stranger, a one-night only friend. Because you never knew if you met again. And damn, he had hoped to have another chance... but was this even possible?

This led to the dream part.

Mean was in the swimming pool.

Only wearing shorts.

And when it came to boys, Plan had no problem admitting to himself that he was a bit shallow. He just had a thing for stunning good looks. In the beginning, when he had had his first tender crushes, he had thought he would never be able to date anyone, because the guys he usually fell for were so handsome that he believed they were out of his league.

And then there had been Win, who would probably have won any beauty contest at their school handily. He had unexpectedly shown interest in him. Plan had hardly believed it back then, when Win had first started to court him, straightforward and bold, as Win was.

His looks had of course not been the main reason for Plan to get into the relationship back then – Win was a really sweet guy, and funny, and he had always made sure to make their dates romantic and memorable, while it had all lasted. Being good-looking hadn't hurt at all in his opinion.

It was like physics and maths. Plan could appreciate beauty when he saw it.

So, Plan had a weakness for handsome guys and... well...

Mean was handsome.

Unbelievably handsome.

He had already admired his abs on the ad campaigns he was featured in whenever he saw one on the bus or on a billboard.

But now it wasn't just a picture.

Mean was really here in the pool in the flesh. And, Plan could watch him swim towards the edge of the pool just in front of him and jump out of it in one fluid movement, the water splashing down his body.

Plan gulped.

Mean looked like one of these classical statues coming alive. Or like a scene out of an action movie, where the protagonist showed his physical prowess not just by saving the day through daring stunts, but also through a shot of his well-toned body in a shower scene. Or a pool scene.