Chapter 31 - Which One of You Is Gay?

Since Plan's goodbye event at Gravity, Viola had been in a bad mood. That was two weeks and all of White Hand was starting to feel the consequences of it.

Mean and Win, who were increasingly getting faster friends, bonding over their shared penchant for silliness, had tried their best at creating diversions for her, but she always just huffed at them.

Even Rose was powerless against her grumpy mood.

Plan was the only one who seemed immune to her frustration – he had been drawn more and more into his research since he didn't have to worry about his job anymore, and Mean suspected that this was his way of escaping the stress of his sudden popularity.

Mean hadn't done anything to make him slow down in his work. He was okay with Plan plunging head-first into physics, as long as they still got to spend most evenings together; watching movies in Mean's room, tinkering together in the workshop, or improvising at the studio.

They had grown really close over the past weeks. They both loved to cuddle and make out with each other, but they were also having deep discussions about life and the universe while lying under the open sky on the patio in front of Plan's room for half the night, or dissecting the harmonies and patterns of pieces of music they both liked while chilling in Mean's room.

Their relationship had found a good place to settle and grow. They had even gotten accustomed to acting like friends and brothers only in public.

Mean wasn't particularly unhappy about the fact that the hype around his boyfriend had lessened. They had finally enough calm to become what he wanted them to be.

"I don't get it Viola, nothing happened. Why can't you relax about it?"

They were at their private study room again, it was Friday afternoon, Viola was pacing it furiously, and Mean just about had it.

He wondered whether there was some additional trouble in lesbian paradise that he hadn't picked up on that had aggravated Viola in addition to Black Hand.

"Nothing happened?" Viola came to a halt in front of Mean, glaring. "Nothing happened?! Didn't you read that damn blog link I sent you? It's so embarrassing. They make it look like their meme genius guy stole Plan's show that night at Gravity. They're even gloating about Rom being more popular than Plan now – and by extension saying Black Hand has the upper hand over us. It's so stupid, just because their guy accepted the invitation to America and Plan didn't. And damn, the way they framed it, if we had revealed that Plan had also been invited but chose not to go, we would just have looked like idiots."

Mean jumped up from the chair he had been sitting in and glared back, profiting from that fact that he was more than a head taller than Viola and could now look down at her.

"Plan didn't want to go to America, he could have if he wanted to. That's still a fact, even if we didn't parade it around. Plus, he got invited to a conference at CERN in Geneva next month, which is way more important and prestigious for a researcher. We're still a university club, after all, not an entertainment group. And, besides, Plan still has more followers on the photo app than all of these idiots combined, and that day, people were waiting in line to see him. So, I say, we still win."

"Ugh, Mean. I get it, you're in love with your boy-"

She stopped on her track, and Mean was really close to slapping her for that slip of her tongue.

Damn.

He had accepted that Viola knew about their relationship, but she was the last person he would have expected to just blab out his secret in front of Win.