The Choice

A/N: Finally redoing this and next chapter. Seriously I've redone every other chapter at least three times, but chapter one and two I never touch after writing them the first time.

Fire: one of the arcanes of destruction and is terrified by both men and beast. The one who wields this crest will have the power to scorch all around them.

Lightning: The other arcane of destruction who is known for the vast energy they wild. The one who wields this crest will be in a constant fight to control the tremendous power.

Water: The arcane of life is respected by both men and beast who they support. The one who wields this crest must not be drowned in the illusion of eternal life.

Earth: The arcane of creation supports all inhabitants of Terra. The one who wields this crest will be able to defend themselves from all around them.

Air: The arcane of the sky who wilds untold freedom. The one who wields this crest will never know stability.

Light: The arcane of guidance who blinds all who look upon them. Those who wield this crest must learn to seek the truth.

Darkness: The arcane of corruption who holds the secrets of men. The one who wields this crest will walk an unknown path.

Kiyoshi

In the middle of the night, a boy stood in his basement looking at the glowing hearth in front of him. Its warm orange light showed that his tan skin covered well-defined muscles. His short and spiky hair shot out from a square head that was a bit roundish. He looked at a small hallow iron circle which sat in the middle of the flames reflecting in his hazel eyes. It was connected to a rod that was poking out the fireplace. With the exception of the crackling from the burning oak wood and his own soft breathing, there was no sound in the basement. Kiyoshi clenched his fists taking a deep breath and shutting his eyelids. He could stop this right now. Just put out the flames and sneak back into his room. Thinking about the punishment he would receive it was a very tempting choice.

The boy sighed his eyes shifting to his right landing on the item that laid on the wooden table. It was a blue crystal that shed a soft glow. It cost him around 4 weeks of allowance and he needed to buy it when his father and the elders weren't paying attention. It was quite a hassle for such a simple transaction. The boy chuckled looking at the ground. Of course, he was going to do it. The decision was already made and everything was prepared. Kiyoshi didn't know why he was second-guessing himself just before the finish line.

"No," the boy shook his head disagreeing with his own line of thought. "This is just the beginning."

The boy grabbed the rubber handle of the rod with his left hand. Pulling out the branding iron he walked over to the table. The sound of his bare feet stepping on the cold stone ground was louder then it should have been. He flinched at the scraping of the chair from under the table and the creaking of him sitting on it.

'Why was everything so loud?' He wondered sighing.

Once again Kiyoshi took a few deep breaths gripping the crystal with his right hand. He went over the information the book he read and reread multiple times over the last two years. The last thing was to swear himself to one of the Arcana who he would follow for the rest of his life. Like everything else, this was already decided. With the incant in mind, Kiyoshi held the glowing red circle over his right hand and started the ritual. He pressed the hot iron down with no hesitation gritting his teeth at the sudden searing pain. He ignored it focusing on the words that needed to escape his mouth.

"I walk on the path of darkness," he was interrupted by a gasp of pain before continuing in a strained voice. "I open my heart to the unknown..." The blue crystal changed to a dark purple. a black substance that glowed an amethyst hue began to leak from the crystal and snaked around his wounded hand. It looked like a liquid but felt solid on his skin. The branding iron's color morphed into the same inky pallor as the substance. The warm glow from the fireplace was gone leaving the crystal to be the only light. Even then he could not see the table his hand rested on. "Now behold to me the crest of corruption!"