Monday

Something was beeping. The incessant noise became annoying and I tried to locate its origin so I could get it to stop. With my eyes still closed I felt around until my hand connected with my phone and immediately I swiped left to make it stop.
My eyes flew open as I remembered how I'd gotten the phone in the first place but before I could dwell on the fact that I was out on bail and hadn't informed my friends, I remembered why the alarm had gone off.
I was going to be late for work!

"Damn it, fuck, fuck, " I whispered running down the stairs while trying to button my pants, then to the kitchen in search of Martha.

Yeah, I know, I was accused of murder so why was work important. It was simply. I needed the money and I needed to keep my apartment.
I rolled my eyes at myself. I'm sure the videos of me being arrested would be on the internet by now and the news. So that alone would ensure that I was now unemployed.

Taking the phone from my jeans pocket, I looked around the kitchen. Damn the place was quiet.
I opened the lock screen then went to the call log and selected the first, in this case, the last miss call I had received. Vivian. She answered on the first ring.

"Fuck Sam, I was about to report you as a missing person, " she screamed.

"I'm sorry," I whined fully understanding why she was upset.

"I'm here too," Amanda chimed in, "and as soon as I see you, I'm kicking your ass!"

"Guys I'm sorry and I'll take any ass-kicking that's given. It's just so good to hear your voices. But I have a question, do you know Michael Maxwell?"

"Really, you just up and disappeared and this is why you're calling?!" Viv screeched.

"I'm getting to that Viv."

"Who doesn't know of him?" she stated matter-of-factly as if everyone should, after sighing to calm down.

"Umm, obviously she doesn't or she wouldn't be asking. You should pick up a magazine some time or be a bit more tuned into social media Sam. What about him?" I could hear Mandy chewing as she spoke.

"I'm at his house?"

"What?!" They both shouted.

"Yeah, he was the one that bailed me out." I rubbed the back of my neck nervously as I imagined their expressions.

"And what does he want in return?" Suspicion evident in Amanda's voice.

"From what I've seen and heard so far, nothing."

Vivian sighed again. "Sam, you need to find out what he wants from you, I guarantee you he wants something. You know what, just leave. Where are you, we'll come and get you right now?"

"I don't think I can leave Viv, it..."

"Good morning and no, you're not allowed to leave the premises and I will be taking the phone as well."

My heart sank at the Barbarian's words. I said them to myself and had hoped that was not the case but I was right. Why did I have to be right? "Guys, I'll call you when I can."

"Don't hang up," Mandy warned as I hit the end call icon.

"Is it a good morning?!" Okay, that was not how I wanted it to come out; dripping with attitude.

"I see you didn't sleep well," he countered walking over to the coffee machine. Of course, he was a coffee person.

I had actually gotten one of the best night's sleep of my entire life but I would not give his already inflated ego a boost. "That tends to happen when you don't sleep in your own bed. Why did you bail me out and how do you expect me to repay you?"

"Coffee?" He said turning to face me and exposing his somewhat muscled naked chest. Was he shirtless this entire time? Did he know this was one of my weaknesses?
Oh, come on, what female didn't like at least a little muscle?

He was a tease and that made my anger boil. "I don't drink coffee. Just answer my questions, Mr. Maxwell, as I'm in no mood for games." I folded my arms under my breast to give them the effect a push-up bra would so my full cleavage was exposed. Two can play at that game.

Coughing and putting the coffee on the island, he averted his eyes from my breasts and sat so he was no longer facing me. He cleared his throat and took a sip of the coffee before he began. "I thought you killed him."

I stiffened at his words. So he did bail me out to get revenge himself.

"Something like that," he said sipping again.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to," I said, noticing I'd said it out loud.

"It's fine. It was wrong of me to assume without getting all the facts but you must admit all evidence points to you, so you do seem guilty, not to mention the fact that you keep lying about not knowing him."

"I didn't know him."

"Okay, " he sighed out.

"So if that's the case why did you change your mind and what evidence are you talking about?"

"You don't know?"

I wasn't sure what he meant so I shook my head no. Absentmindedly I walked over to the island and sat beside him. The smell of his cologne and aftershave invaded my nostrils and calmed me. He smelled so delicious and I felt my body leaning in, trying to get as much of the scent as possible. I felt like I was in a Tom and Jerry cartoon and I was Jerry, being lured in by the scent of the cheese. I caught myself when I felt my bare shoulder brushed against his.

He pretended not to notice and continued. "They have the knife that killed him, with your prints on it and your clothes with his blood; all found in your apartment."

My mouth fell open and my eyes went wide. What was he talking about and how did he get all that information? I was held for hours and got nothing, nothing. "Wh-what, what are you talking about? What blood?"

Michael got off the stool and walked to the sink. I watched as he washed the cup he used and put it in its place. "Follow me."

As I felt my legs moving, my brain tried to play catch up. What the hell was going on?!