Lonely

The breeze that reached me on the balcony was hot but despite how it felt on my skin, I couldn't get enough and the view of the garden and the mountains beyond was breathtaking.

It was almost a week since I was 'rescued' by the Barbarian and his lawyer Mr.  Shaw and even Chance. He, Martha, Lenny, and Mr. Shaw were my saving grace.

I was missing my friends terribly but I couldn't tell them where I was or even talk to them. I couldn't tell them about the mansion I'd gotten stuck in that still felt like a prison. I couldn't tell them what an arrogant asshole the Barbarian was when he wasn't trying to be nice. Why was he being nice?

Sighing, I walked back to the room, sat on the bed and looked at the open closet. The only thing in it that I owned was my white dress and red heels. Did I really want to be indebted to this man?
My belly grumbled, reminding me I hadn't eaten. My diet for the past week hadn't really been much. If it didn't change, the flu wouldn't be the only thing I'd have to worry about.

The flu; it had disappeared as quickly as it had come and I was grateful, granted I was still a bit weak and my voice a bit hoarse but I was grateful.
I needed a shower, I needed food and I needed entertainment. I needed Chance. I hadn't seen him since M&M took him to his office.

After showering, I made my way to the kitchen, which has become my first stop every time I was on the first floor. The smells from there were so enticing, always drawing me in.

"Hey, Lenny." I sat at the island and watched him as he worked.

"Hey Sammie, feeling better I see."

"Yup and hungry."

His smile broadened as he looked over at me. "And what does my fair lady wish to have for breakfast?"

The one thing or if I'm being totally honest, one of the things that I liked about the staff was that they were like family. You could feel the love oozing off everyone, except the Barbarian of course. I doubt he knew what that was.
There were no uniforms that showed positions, there were no titles attached to their names. If there were, it was out of respect. Maids came and went, so did gardeners but they were all like family.
Martha had told me that on some holidays the Barbarian would invite everyone and their families over for dinners and parties but I wondered if that was really his idea.

"Fried dumplings with franks and baked beans please," I told him after a while.

"Oh really."

"Yup."

"Did you already sneak a peak?" He asked bringing the plate over to me.

"I didn't, I swear but I'm glad I won't have to wait, I'm too hungry."

"Well, I have to go now." He placed whatever leftovers were there, in the fridge and removed his apron and hat. "I won't be here for a few days Sammie but," he said holding his hand up to stop me from interrupting, "there are lots of dishes in the fridge to chose from so you guys won't starve, I'm not that cruel."

"Fyi Lenny, I was only going to ask if everything's okay and I can cook, so can Martha and Chance so the only one that would actually starve is the Barbari...him," I corrected, pointing to the direction of his office.

"You'd be surprised."

"Of how well versed he is at dialing numbers? I bet he knows all the restaurants by heart?"

"He's a great cook Sammie." He got serious. "It's obvious you don't see eye to eye but there's more to him than he's letting on, okay."

I rolled my eyes. First, it was Martha, now him. What was with the botched sales pitches? "Okay."
He gave me a brief hug and left.

For some reason, it felt as if we were the only two people in the house and I didn't want to see him.
I still didn't know what he wanted from me and that scared me. It had to be something.
He had bailed me out to exact revenge as he thought I'd killed his friend but why keep me around after? Was this all a game to him?
Was I some kind of project?

As I ate breakfast in the defeating quiet, my mind raced. My thoughts took me to places I never wanted to go to. I needed my girls but that wasn't possible.
As breakfast came to a close and the loneliness crept in I went back to my room.

I needed human interaction. I needed Chance.