Liar

A light knock on the door woke me up that morning and I was greeted by Martha, aspirin, water and a headache.

"How are you feeling?" She asked smiling at me.

"Like shit," I answered before realizing it. "I'm so sorry." I covered my face in embarrassment.

"I've heard worse," she laughed. "Come, take these." I took the pills and water. "Breakfast is ready when you are. Also, did you have a fight with Michael?" Her question trailed off as she entered the bathroom.

"Not that I recall." I got out of bed and followed. "Why, what did he say?"

"Not much. When I got in this morning he all but body-slammed me to get through the door and when I spoke up he apologized angrily then drove off after telling me he'd be at his office and he doesn't know for how long."

Watching her go through the laundry basket was weird as I usually did my own laundry.

She looked up with worried eyes. "If it was work he would have stayed and handled it in his office here so I'm guessing you two had a fight. What really happened Sammie?"

Suddenly, I became very aware of the statement I made before giving in to the blissful arms of sleep. It was my fault he was angry, it's all because of what I said about Hale. I facepalmed myself and slid to the floor. "What the hell have I done?!"

★★★

That was yesterday.

I haven't seen Michael since. All I wanted to do was explain.

I had waited for him all night in the living room but he never came. Even Martha and Chance had tried calling him for me but nothing.

Was this it? Did I fuck things up for me?
This was it, wasn't it? All the help I'd gotten or any in the future would be rescinded because I lied.
He had asked me and I had lied to his face! Multiple times.

After brushing my teeth I went searching, looking in the places I knew he could have been but nothing. So I decided to take a bold step and wait in his room.

I sat on the recliner he had close to the window and looked out.
The room smelt of him and as I drank in the smell I got comfortable. So much so that my eyelids started closing but sleep wouldn't get the chance of claiming me this time.

The door slammed, startling me and I heard him mumbled 'sorry' when he noticed me, as he headed for the bathroom.

I pulled all my figure onto the recliner and rested my chin on my knees, waiting for the barbarian that I knew existed to show his face.

Fifteen minutes later he emerged with a towel around his neck, no shirt, and jeans. The sight of his body sent a feeling to my core that I haven't felt in a long time but I had to push the feeling aside as now was definitely not the time for that.

"Why?" He asked walking to the balcony.

"Michael I..."

"Please, don't lie to me anymore." He came back into the room and towered over me. "Lie to me again and you'll end up right back in that cell you hate so much!"

I sunk further into the chair. I feared the thought of going back to place more than I did him.
I felt guilty for lying to him and I could see the hurt and disappointment clear as day in his eyes.

"Why did you lie to me, Sam?"

"What was I supposed to tell you?" My voice only a whisper. "I didn't know you, and then I found out that you had helped me just so you could kill me because you thought I killed Hale. We haven't exactly been the best of friends," I said a little bolder.

"You think all that mattered to me? The truth Samantha, that's all I wanted, was it really that hard just to say, yes?!"

I was feeling too small so I got up and walked over to the sliding glass doors that led to the balcony. The morning breeze felt good and helped to calm me.
"Do you know what it's like to be afraid? So scared to the point where the only thing you can think of is remembering how to breathe? I'm sure those men you killed knew what it felt like and so do I. 

"When I was six, I saw my father hurting my mom, stepmom really but she was the only mother I ever knew." Tears I tried to hold back ran down my face as they always did when I remembered her. "She left shortly after. Then when I was twelve I found out that she had died. Nothing was ever the same for me after that. I started partying and drinking just to kill all the pain I felt.

"Sixteen was when it hit the most. That's when my father tried to rape me and when he realized he couldn't, he tried to kill me!"

As it always did, all the rage I felt surfaced and without meaning to I directed it all to him.

"All I wanted was a mother and he drove her away! Then he tried to kill me because I wouldn't let him have his way with me! Who the fuck does that?! And to his own daughter." Sighing I walked over to him. "Yes, I lied about knowing Hale because I didn't know what you'd do to me but I didn't kill him.

"I only found out about and knew him for about a month," I said trying to calm myself. "He had seen Mandy talking to me and had approached me after she left and the only reason was that he did was because he was planning a surprise for her and needed my help."

"Amanda? So she was his girlfriend and not you?" He sank down to the carpet and leaned on the bed. The towel still around his neck.

"Yes."

"Well if he was her boyfriend why didn't you know him? Did Vivian know him?"

"No," for whatever reason, she kept him a secret from us."

"How long were they together?"

"Almost a year."

"I thought you were family?" His words were harsh.

"What are you trying to say?" I asked matching his tone.

He stood up and once again, towered over my small frame. "You expect me to believe this bullshit story? Come on Samantha give me a little bit more credit! You're a liar, you just can't help it can you?"

"I only lied about knowing him and that's because I was scared!"

"No, you lied to me then and you're lying now. If you all were as close as you said then why would she hide him from you, from Vivian?!"

"How the hell should I know!" I shouted, throwing my hand up in exasperation.

"Of course you wouldn't because it's all lies!"

I looked up at him and there he was, the Barbarian I knew existed but then why should he believe me, he didn't know me. It was one night after all.
Tears stung at my eyes but I refused to let them run. Let him believe what he wanted, let him do what he wanted. I was done being afraid of accepting my fate, whatever it would be.

He searched my eyes for something but for what, I didn't know or care.

"I will find out the truth Sam and if it was you, despite how I feel about you, I will..."

"Do nothing!" Martha warned storming into the room, "you will do nothing!"
She walked over to me, took me by the shoulders and ushered me out.
I flinched when the door slammed behind us and Martha squeezed my shoulders gently.

"You'll be alright child."

With those words, there was no holding back and the dam finally broke.