Chapter One: Memories

The hospital is dismal, the sounds of monitors beeping, and struggled breathing swimming in the atmosphere. The sunlight leaks in from the city, making Rio look majestic once again. She always had that royal air about her that I could never figure out. I always thought it was because her family lived in a mansion.

I'm Rose Ashikaga, best friend of Rio Kastle. Myself and Rio have known each other for seven years, although I wish the circumstances of our meeting were different.

Seven Years Ago:

"Come on Rose. Just a few more steps." The nurse, Nurse Hailey helped me gently. I'd been in a car crash. Just me, and an innocent family apparently. I was in a police car watching my dad work, when I dropped my favourite teddy bear, Leo. I got out the car, against my dad's protests. One of the officers, whilst running saw Leo and picked him up, handing him to me. I smiled in return, but that smile was short lived. A car (with the criminal Dad and his team were trying to catch) sped into me and the officer and another car. I caught a glimpse of two children, around my age, clutching each other in the back. That was the last thing I saw before waking up in the hospital.

Now they tried to ease me into walking again. My arm had been broken, and I'd been in a small comatose state, like the other two children. When I'd awoke, the doctors and nurses found it a relief. Apparently, the other two children's hearts had stopped, only to start again.

"Just a little further." Hailey said again. At that moment, a little girl walked out of a room, rubbing her eyes. "Rio. How are you feeling?" She was one of the children in the back of that car!

"I feel fine." She said, although I recognised the fear in her eyes. She wasn't fine. Whilst Hailey went to get a drink for Rio, I was left with her.

"How did get in here?" Rio asked politely.

"I was-I was in your car crash." I saw panic flash in her eyes. "Oh don't worry, it wasn't your car, it was the other one!" I tried to comfort her.

" My parents didn't survive." Rio muttered. Her sky blue bangs hung over her face, as tears fell down them.

"I'm sor-" Rio cut me off.

"I'm Rio. Rio Kastle. What's your name?"

"Rose Ashikaga."

"Wow. Long surname. My brother would love that." Hailey arrived back with three cups. One for me, one for Rio and one for her twin brother. As if on queue, Rio's name was called by a young boy.

"Rio! You okay?"

"I'm fine Reginald! I made a new friend." Rio started walking back into her room, sighing. I guessed she was trying to show her brother how strong she could be.

"That's good." Reginald said. Hailey walked me into their room and Reginald smiled at me.

"Is this your new friend?" He asked.

"Yeah. I'm Rose Ashikaga. Nice to meet you."

"I'm Reginald Kastle. Nice to meet you too." I didn't know then that I'd rarely see Reginald after that day. Hailey smiled.

"Going to be quite a Prince Charming when he's older, huh?" She asked the doctor and nurse in the room. Me and Rio laughed. Reginald scratched his neck, awkwardly.

Present Day:

"Still here, Rose?" Hailey was still a nurse now and she always tried her hardest to keep Rio okay.

"Yeah. She's my best friend."

"Between you and Reginald, you both keep a close eye on her. Is that a deal you sorted?" She asked politely.

"No. Me and Shark never talk that much." I explained. Hailey nodded.

"You two should. Rio would want her brother and best friend to talk and hang out. She's one of those people." Hailey explained before grabbing Rio's last bandages and leaving.

'Oh, Rio. You were always in trouble. Why did it have to be you? Me and Reginald can't cope. What I would do to get you well again.' I thought sadly as a tear fell down my face.