Chapter Twenty-One: Regret

I didn't have to wait long for some of Heartland's minions to come and get me from the zone. I made up a story about my Duel Disk being broken, as a result of jumping from my damaged coaster to Shark's, which fortunately for me, they believed. It was reported to Heartland who had stepped down from broadcasting the Carnival to offer me his personal apologies, saying how he thought the coaster system was flawless and how selfish it was of Shark to leave me behind.
"He didn't leave me behind, I decided to stay there. Myself and Shark cannot work as a team, not currently anyway." I sighed and for a second, Heartland's eyes softened.
"Hopefully, everything will work out for you." He says, before going back to his broadcasting. I ran up through the crowd, up to where my brother was sat with Striker and his brothers.
"Rosie!" Gray stands when I arrive, and hugs me.
"What happened?!" He demands as I sit down in what was his seat. He sits down next to me, and I explain about Shark and Quattro's duel, how Shark had finally got his long-awaited revenge. I explained how Vetrix had been behind everything, and Shark was going after him. I told them of Quattro's heartfelt apology, and how Shark had selfishly decided to ignore it.
"Today really is not your day." Gray says, frowning. "His selfishness cost you your place in the Finals." Gray scowled.
"Whilst that may be true, I wouldn't particularly want to face against Vetrix. Maybe it's a blessing in disguise." I shrug.
"Answer me honestly, did you think you were a burden to him?" My brother asks.
"No, I didn't. Gray, Quattro gave a sincere apology for his actions, the actions of a son who wants his father back. I feel for him. He asked Shark to help him get his real father back, and to tell him that he and his brothers would be waiting for him when he returned. But Shark's not gonna do that, he's revenge obsessed but he's just falling straight into a trap, but he won't believe me." I clench my fists and as I do, Mizen appears once again.
"Hey, Mizen." I smile as the tiny dragon flies into my open arms.
"Rah." I smile down at the dragon, as my brother stares at Mizen in shock.
"I'm not even going to ask." He laughs. Around us, the whole crowd is cheering.
"Ladies and gentlemen! There's only one spot left in the Semi-Finals. Who will advance? Yuma Tsukumo or Nistro? We're about to find out as we watch them coast through the desert field!" Heartland announces. However, as their faces appear, I lose a lot of hope for Yuma. Nistro has 4000 Life Points. Yuma has a measly 100. He still looks determined though. He duels for the right reasons. Maybe one day Shark will acknowledge that...
I remember, a short while before Rio was placed in hospital, she had come round to my house after an argument with her brother.
I am sat watching TV, waiting for my brother to come home from work. I hear a knock at my door, but I am hesitant to answer; my brother isn't due home for another 45 minutes, and my mother is out of town. Then, I hear a familiar voice.
"Rose, it's Rio! Please let me in." I get up off the sofa and open the door. My magenta eyed best friend is stood there, her eyes puffy and breathing heavy: it seems she has ran here. I move to the side, letting her in.
"Rio, what's happened? Is everything okay?" I ask. She sits on the sofa.
"Reginald and I had an argument." She says, looking at her hands which are folded on her lap. I move into the kitchen which is attached into the living room, and pull some assorted biscuits from the cupboard. I place them on a plate.
"What was it about?" I ask as I return and place the biscuits in front of her.
"He's changing Rosie. I don't like it. He's becoming distanced, from everything. I confronted him about it, and we rowed. So I said I was going for a walk, and I ran here. I don't understand him." She sniffles.
"All I've ever done is look out for him, as he does for me, but he doesn't try and acknowledge other people. Mother and Father's deaths still weigh me down, but I know that they would want us to be happy, to go out and make friends, and make happy memories. They would want us to bond with people through duelling. But Reginald doesn't see things that way..." I place a hand on her arm.
"Rio...you have to remember that he is the older one. And even though you are twins, their death might have more of a toll on him because of that. Every child wants to make their father proud, but when there is no father there, they feel lost. I lost my father, and I am still lost on what to do. Yes, I realise he would want me to be happy. Maybe Reginald's way of grief is different to yours." I say, hoping that I haven't offended her. Luckily, I have not.
"Yeah. Yeah, you're right. Thanks, Rosie." She hugs me. We eat the biscuits and watch a rom-com movie until my brother gets home. He offers Rio a lift home. for which she is grateful. The car journey is silent, but comfortable
"Thank you, Roe. For everything. Thanks for the lift, Gray!" She smiles at us as she turns to go to her door.
"Ri? Do you want me to come with you?" I ask, and her head turns to face me.
"No, thank you. I'll be fine. I'll call you later." With that, her blue hair sways behind her and she walks confidently to the door. She hesitates for a second, her fingers hovering above the handle, before she resolutely grabs it and opens the door.

I hadn't thought much about it since that day. Even though myself and Rio had been best friends since we'd met, I had never really thought about Reginald until I became a Second Year student and Rio had been hospitalised. We shared a lot of classes, and I constantly wanted to approach him about Rio, but my nerves always got the best of me. I drown in memories that myself and Shark have had since Yuma's duel.