Chapter Ten: Loyalty

Minutes seemed like hours. None of the doctors or nurses knew what had happened to Reginald. Apparently people had been coming in like this for weeks now. Has Kite been draining other people's souls as well? I mean, Shark doesn't have a Number, so couldn't Kite return his soul? I should have stood up for him, from the start, confessed that I had a Number. Well, NumberS.

Mizen appears beside me once all the nurses have left him. I look towards the door wondering if anyone else is coming to see him. Like Yuma, for example. But then, he's probably hunting for Kite. Hunting the Hunter. I don't see the point; Kite's a far better duellist than the rest of us. I just want to check on Rio. It's what Shark would want me to do. His little sister means more to him than anything. As I stare at his frozen features. I don't hear or see the door slide open until a hand lightly touches my shoulder.

"Mr Kay? What're you doin' here?" I ask. My Maths teacher stands above me, a kind smile on his face.

"Rose, you need to rest. You've been here for hours. I'll keep an eye on him, I promise." He says.

"I won't go home. But there's someone I need to check on." I leave the room after glancing at Shark one last time.

It's early evening in Heartland. Lights shining low, sun setting orange and purple shades in the sky. I sit with Rio, and memories come flooding back. Good times and bad times. When we first met, when she first invited me to sleepover at her orphanage, when she got really excited about Reginald's lies to the orphanage so they could get out earlier. That time when Rio broke her arm, tore a ligament in her knee etc...We got closer and she eventually she confessed about her Ailurophobia (fear of cats).

But, when she got put in hospital, I got so angry. I hunted and hunted for anything that would help her or help me find the person who put her there, but nothing ever did. I could have started hanging out with Shark then; maybe things might have been easier for him. Rio was my first true friend. She's irreplaceable, one of a kind. I have no idea what me and Shark would do if she never got out of this. Shark...what if he never got his soul back? I hate being weak, but in the short matter of time that I've known him, I've developed a crush. His perfect sea blue eyes, carefree attitude and duel skills. Then the side that has always cared for his sister. Most siblings argue and don't get on; Shark and Rio are a different story.

I sigh, shaking all the thoughts out of my head and leave the room, with happy memories. Sky blue bangs; sunny, clear sky days, filled with ice creams and frisbees. Dark blue hair: dark blue water in the distant sea from our days on the beach.

"One day, Rosie, we're gonna be out there! Sailing the sea, hair flying. And maybe Reginald will be with us." She laughed as the tide swept in our bodyboards. My feet crunched on the rocks and I looked at her glittering magenta eyes.

"I hope so, Rio. He sounds great." She giggled again, as I pushed her back out as far as we could get. I couldn't help but thinking how perfect life was.

A happy childhood and friendship.

The hospital seems like a home away from home I'm here that often. I wish I wasn't. But, wishing doesn't work anymore. It never did, to be fair.

Shark's still the same when I arrive back. Closed eyes, dark circles; his once dark purple hair, now a light lilac.

"You like him, don't you?" Mr Kay asks.

"Wh-What? I-I don't like him!" I deny his allegations, whilst knowing they're completely true.

"Rose, it may be not be my business. But I can tell. When he wakes up, you'll need to be there for him. I know about Rio, his twin sister, and I know it's been hard on him. And you. I don't know what happened to Shark, but he needs a friend. A close one like you. Or Yuma. He should count himself lucky to have had you here for him." I smile in return as the moon shines in. The room is silent (me standing at the window, admiring the view, whilst Mr Kay is still sat down) and I think again. Life is full of all these crazy turns. Numbers, souls being taken away, first ever crush; this city certainly is strange. I keep on staring, the silence continues until a low grunt is heard: Shark's beginning to stir! He opens his eyes, his features back to normal. I am in disbelief. Looking at his eyes, I remember the first time, a couple of weeks ago, when I really payed attention to them.

"Finally awake, huh?" Shark sits up.

"You're okay!" Before thinking, I jump to hug him, tears slipping down my face, my cheeks hazed red. Whilst I embrace him, his hands are at my arms for a few seconds, before returns the hug, still a little shocked. A wave of shyness showers over me.
"What's going on?"
"You've been asleep a long time, Shark. But I think Yuma just woke you up." Mr Kay smiles at the scene before him. Shark looks over his shoulder at the bright city lights beyond the plate glass wall of windows.
"Yuma...?"

"You two are close aren't you?" I look at Shark and shove him, making him fall of the hospital bed.

"....Ouch....Rose!..." Shark looks hurt, holding his back.

"I'm sorry!" I bow to him, and a jolt happens. 'An honour, your majesty.' What was that? It sounded like me, but...meh. Probably just from a movie I've watched. 'Yuma, thank you.' I think, happily. So he did go after Kite. Our teacher leaves, but tells Shark he towed his runner here. Shark's grateful, at least.

"Shark?" He pauses at the door.

"Yeah?"

"Rose has barely left you all the time you've been here." The door slides open and he walks out. Shark looks at me, perplexed.

"Is that true?" I nod, suddenly embarrassed.

"I-I went to see Rio for a bit, and then came back here. I was sat there for about 15 minutes with her. " I inform.

"I miss her. I just want her back...." He trails off.

"Me too." His eyes shine, showing the beginnings of tears. He goes back to hugging me, holding me tight.

"All the time I was asleep, I saw you and her. You guys were happy. Me and her were happy. And then Quattro came along and put her in here! I..I saw us b-both torn away from my sister. M-My innocent s-sister........" He sobs silently as I hug him. So Quattro is the name of the guy who put her here....

"It's going to be okay. She-She's gonna be just fine. You'll see. With you as a brother, of course that's gonna happen." I find myself saying some of the things I admire about him.

"You're strong, a tough nut to crack. You're the toughest of the tough, kind and a true fighter. And so is Rio." I confirm my confidence in Rio.

"Really? No one's ever said anything like that to me before." I grin, looking at him.

"I'm your friend, Shark. Complimenting you is in my job description. Anyway, you're eyes...they have this light to them. And I kinda wanna save it. As cheesy as that sounds." He chuckles.

"We're more than friends, Rose." He looks at me, and I look at him. We take in each other's features. He leans his head on mine and sighs.

"You're my best friend, but you don't tell anyone that." Him and his ego. I giggle.

"Okay."

"Now, move, I need to get changed. This robe is horrible." He says, making a disgusted face.

"Fashionable as your sister then?" I joke. He laughs with me.

"She's better. DO NOT tell her I said that!"

"You got it, Reggie." He shudders.

"Rio told me you hated that nickname."

"She wasn't wrong." I leave the room and stand in the hallway. Rio may be coma, and she may be my best friend, but I'm glad I've got Reginald. My new best friend. Life will look up. I know it.