An Encounter

“EGGS!!!”, Gillian whispers to us.

Oh. My. God. Matty Healy is standing next to Em, three barstools down, but he is standing there next to US, with all that glorious hair underneath his hoodie. He turns his face, looks at us, winks (which I think he winked directly at me, but so do both of my friends), and waits for the bartenders answer.

The man behind the bar, older with a pot belly says to Lips, er, I mean Matty, “Eggs? No mate! We don’t got no eggs. We got booze and beer. Whatcha’ want?”  

Matty shrugs his shoulders, turns towards me and my friends and smiles, winks again (at me, yes, definitely at me) and says “Oh well, no eggs. What can a mate do? Maybe he has some milk?” laughing in his almost cockney-ish accent.

He stands there looking at the three of us for a split second, then flips his hoodie back exposing his dark brown beautiful curly locks of hair which he immediately flips by shaking his head around. My heart flutters. Am I dreaming? I wonder. So I pinch my arm and yelp slightly. Nope, not dreaming. What are they doing here? Tonight? Their concert is not until tomorrow night I consider to myself.

“Would you dolls fancy sitting down with me and my mates?” Lips, er, I mean Matty asks us.

I have got to quit staring at his lips, but they are beautiful lips. All three of us, me, Em, Gillian, nod our heads yes, politely say “yes” and “ok, sure” as we slip off the barstools and grab our belongings and drinks. George and Adam are grabbing three more chairs from an empty table and dragging them over their table as we approach.

Ross high-fived Matty. “Those are some fit birds you got, Matty” Ross says, “they didn’t have eggs or milk, huh?” The group of guys all laugh. I smile knowing full well what he has just implied.

I sit in the chair between Matty and Ross on one end of the table and my friends sit in the other two between Adam and George at the other end of the table. I pinch myself again. Are we seriously sitting WITH The 1975? Introductions take place around the table. It is fun to hear the boys laugh and joke, hitting each other as they introduce themselves to us. Matty goes first, of course.

“I’m Matty. Do you know who I am? Of course you know who I am. We're The 1975, and I sing for them. Have you heard of our band before?”

All three of us girls express in a calm manner that we know them, are familiar with them, and love them! Our parents did not raise us to scare people away, so we were polite while completely fangirling on the inside. I could see Em start to lose it after Ross started to introduce himself because next was Adam and then George. She had always had the biggest crush on George. I am not sure why because he totally was not my type. I couldn’t really put my finger on what my type was but I knew that Adam and George were not my type. Matty is gorgeous! The way he sings – ah, to die for! But all the girls loved Matty.

Did I ever have a snowballs chance in hell with him? No way! I thought to myself.

Ross’ voice was a little bit deeper than it sounded in the interviews I had watched on YouTube, but not much deeper. His British accent was not as strong as Matty’, or so I thought. I checked him out as he spoke. He is absolutely the epitome of a bass player, I thought. Those big hands with long fingers, big strong physique, long but full face - he is a handsome man that is for sure.  When he introduced himself to us, I kind of giggled inwardly.

“Hi, I’m Ross. You probably really do not know who I am but I play the bass guitar in HIS band” he said in an almost depressed tone, rolling his eyes upward towards the ceiling and pointing at Matty.

Matty kicked him under the table, and in the process he also kicked my crossed dangling leg making my Doc cladded foot hit the table and bounce all of our drinks.

Matty jumped up and grabbed my shoulders from behind and asked if I ok. I nodded that I was fine. He then reached to the floor and grabbed my foot, which I had moved out from under the table, uncrossing my legs and had them both planted firmly on the ground.

“Did I hurt you? Your toes ok, doll? Wait! Look at these boots!!” and then he whistled. “I LOVE it when girls wear Doc Martens! Did you know that? Did I say that in an interview somewhere?” he said.  

Ross, Adam, Em, Gillian and George laughed at Matty gushing over my boots. My big toe did kind of throb a bit now that I thought about it.

Matty spat at my shoe and I jumped. The whole group guffawed even harder.

“What are you doing?!” I screeched at Matty.

“Shining up your Doc up, dove. Chill! That’s what I do to mine” he exclaimed back at me.

“Leave her be”, Ross declared as he pushed Matty from his crouched down position, nearly toppling him over.

“Sorry love. I did not intend to inflict pain upon you”, Matty said to me.

“It’s ok, really. I’m not hurt. You’re good,” I say back to Matty.

He sat back down, took a big swig from his glass of wine, emptying it completely. He then picked up the bottle sitting on the table, turned it up and emptied it completely and set it down hard on the table.

“You mad now, mate?” Ross asked him.

Matty laughed, loudly. “No, I’m not mad, mate. I just felt bad for kicking the dove and falling all about myself afterwards. I made a fool, didn’t I?”

I shook my head no and giggled at him, letting him know that we were cool.

Then Matty immersed himself into his glass of wine and the conversation.

The rest of the group were already talking and getting to know each other. Em and George were leaning over Gillian to talk and I have to admit, it was kind of cute.

Adam sat there watching it all happen seemingly unimpressed.

Ross kept taking swig after swig from his beer and then called the bartender over for another round.

Matty was talking to everyone at the table, including me, no, especially me. He kept leaning in towards me and touching my face. It was strange, distracting, but wonderful at the same time.

Another bottle of wine and six more pints of beer hit the table pretty quickly. I really did not like beer, but I wanted to try it here in London. It did taste different than American beer, but it also hit me faster than an American brew. Ross is a big guy so I wondered how many he could actually toss back before feeling a thing, so I asked him.

He laughed, looked down and said “as many as it takes” and we all laughed at that.

Ross is quiet, Matty is boisterous. I wondered how they had become friends. Then I remembered the stories from their interviews, which usually were only Matty and George. They had described how they met when they were young teens in school together, private school if I remember correctly.