Stars Hollow Picnic Basket Auction Pt.2

"I need to talk to you." Dean exclaimed to Lorelai who was sitting on the gazebo having her lunch with Luke. "Just a second." He added.

"Uhm, okay." She looked between him and Luke. "I'll be right back." She went down the gazebo's stairs. "Hey, where's Rory? Is everything okay?"

"She went back for more food."

"Of course." Lorelai smiled and nodded, waiting for the boy to continue.

"So, have you seen the bidding duel between Jess and Joey?" He frowned waiting a positive answer so that he didn't have to explain.

"Are you kidding me. I could see my daughter boil up all the way from the other side. How did that go?"

"Not so well actually. I had a small discussion with Rory about how I reacted to the guy."

"Aw. Dean, it's just a silly town thing." She looked up to him.

"I know. And I've been telling myself that. And Rory was telling me that. And she'll kill me if she knew I came here to talk to you. I tried to forget about it but I can't. I'm worried about Joey, she's my friend. I don't think she should be hanging out with this guy."

"Well, I know that today was-" She was unexpectedly cut off.

"It's got nothing to do with today." He spoke loudly and then waited for a second to calm down. "Ever since i met him, I had this feeling that he was bad news."

"Yes, Jess has a few issues." She said reassuringly.

"Yeah. One issue is that he's a complete jerk. I mean, he's always getting in fights at school- that is when he bothers to show up at all." Lorelai was looking at the tall boy. "And he just... I don't know."

"Yeah, I know." She looked down at her feet worryingly.

"He's gonna get her into real trouble."

***

"I think probably seven." They were facing each other, Joey was now cross legged, while Jess had his left leg hanging over the bridge. 

"Seven?!" The boy was clearly amused. 

"Yeah, but English." She sounded disappointed.  "I had to reread it when I was about twelve in Russian for the whole experience." She said as if it was a normal thing, which for her, it was. She wasn't showing of, she was just telling the boy.

"I've yet to make it trough it." He really didn't know what to respond to what the girl had just said. He thought that maybe he'll learn about what she meant some other time, giving that she didn't seem to elaborate on it. 

"Really? Try. "The Fountainhead" is a classic." 

"Yeah, but Ayn Rand is a political nut." He excused.

"Yeah, but nobody could write a 40-page monologue the way she could." She smiled at him. "Rejected by twelve publishers as 'too intellectual' Pff!" She said the random fact lower as if she wasn't really speaking to anyone but herself and of course the boy heard and smiled to himself.

"Okay, tomorrow I'll try again, and you will..."He trailed off for the girl to finish the sentence.

"Try and like other comedies besides "Good Omens". Yes I promise." 

"It's not even a full comedy."

"It's ironic." She excused smiling, rising her eyebrows. He raised an eyebrow at her, questioning. "I can't promise." He sighed giggly at her confession.

"You know, it really suits you your smile." He added, looking at her in the eyes. Not that she didn't smile all day long. But seeing the chance to say the compliment talking about comedies.