Pt. 19

"Can I get you anything else?" The young waitress asked the two teenagers who were sitting opposite each other at a table by the window in a small cafe.

"No, thanks. I couldn't possibly eat more." Smiled the girl sympathetically. She just had some tea and toasts, she couldn't possibly be full. She was so different from her mother and sister in the food aspect with no explanation.

"I'm okay. Thanks." Jess informed when the waiter turned to him. He turned back to the girl sitting across from him and he couldn't help but smirk. Joey watched the waiter go away and then finally turned to the boy, spotting the smirk on his face and returning it to him.

It wasn't that early in the morning now, about nine o'clock maybe. People had been flooding the streets from the early hours and the sun was piercing through every window.

"So..." He wanted to ask without sounding pushy. "What's the plan for today?"

"Well, I have to get back 'round six..." She trailed off. She really wanted to spend all her time with Jess, even if she sometimes felt uncomfortable or nervous around him without even knowing why. He nodded. "So... we got time." She shrugged, not knowing what to say in this awkward silence that had form around them. Neither of them wanting to admit that they wanted the time till six to last forever.

"Well, I can show you around." He suggested eyeing her.

"That would be nice." She smiled lightly.  "Let me just pee first." He loved the way she just said things without even trying or wanting to be discreet.

"Okay. I'll wait for you outside." Joey slipped out of her chair and swirled to the bathroom door where she disappeared. He put some bills on the table and stood up, nodding to the waitress before going out the door.

He looked past the walking people and stared at the pay phone debating whether to call or not. Looking up at the sky and taking a big breath in he decided on the best and sighed walking over to it. Jess took the phone and placed in the coin, he turned around to the cafe where the girl still haden't show a sign and turned back around taking a heavy breath before dialing the number and waiting with the tone.

"Luke's dinner." He heard his uncle on the other side.

"She's okay." He simply said. Luke's eyes widened and he sighed in relief.

"Jess," He sighed out but his nephew cut him off.

"She's here with me, she's okay." He looked around to make sure Joey wasn't out yet, he knew she wouldn't appreciate him calling.

"Thank you for letting me know."

"Could you not tell Lorelai." He quickly stated.

"Jess, it's her mother, she has the right to know her daughter's fine." He knew where Jess was coming from, and even though he was still angry at Lorelai he knew it was the morally right thing to do.

"I just don't want her getting upset and fighting with her mother again." He rolled his eyes and took a breath. "Specially not over me."

"Look, Jess, I..."

"Just... let Joey tell her on her own." Luke took a heavy breath himself. "Look, she'll be back at six. Let the explanation be her own." He abruptly hung up and turned around from the phone to see Joey through the window getting out of the bathroom. He followed her with his gaze till she was outside and approached him standing right in front of him.

"Hey." She smiled up at him.

"Hi." He responded back, chuckling.

***