Pt. 12

"A tragic waste of paper." Paris opined.

"I can't believe you just said that." Jess ranted. The four were sitting at the round kitchen table. The sisters facing each other with the guests on either side of them.

"Well, it's true. The Beats' writing was completely self-indulgent. I have one word for Jack Kerouac. Edit." She continued. The boy denied with his head, looking at Joey in disbelief of what he was hearing.

"It was not self-indulgent. The Beats believed in shocking people, stirring thing up." He defended.

"They believed in drugs, booze, and petty crime."

"Well, yes, but you could say they expose you to a world that you wouldn't otherwise known." Rory added.

"Exactly! They explored beyond what was to the eye. They reveled." The boy had a big smile planted on his face at what Joey was interestingly adding to the debate. "Post-war eras takes people by devastation, no one likes that, the difference... this guys started tryin' things out. They were bohemian artists; they didn't follow the pattern, they didn't brake it, they stepped out of it, discovering, adding. Sure, they experimented with psychedelic drugs, they were taking spiritual quests. They were all about purification, anti-materialism, personal release, inquiring into religions, sexual exploration and liberation. Of course they rejected the standard narrative values, they were explicitly portraying the human condition. They found the joylessness and purposelessness of modern society enough justification for both, withdrawal and protest." The three were listening closely to the girl excitingly talk, making a lot of hand movement and gazing between the three. "They presented you with something new, isn't that what great writin's all about?"

"Aren't we hooked up on the Beat movement." Jess looked to the girl who just shrugged her shoulders whit a big smile, before taking a bite at her egg-roll.

"That was not great writing. That was the national enquirer of the '50s." Paris judged.

"You're cracked." Jess pointed an egg roll at the girl in front of her.

"Typical guy response. Worship Kerouac and Bukowski. God forbid you'd pick up anything by Jane Austen."

"Hey, I've read Jane Austen." He pointed again.

"You have?"

"Yeah. And I think she would've liked Bukowski." Joey smiled at this.

"What are you doing?" Paris asked the guy.

"Salt and peppered it. Only way to eat a fry."

"Really?" She now asked to the girls.

"It's fast-food gospel." Rory agreed.

"Mmm, that's good." Paris said after sticking a fry in her mouth. "That's really really good." In that moment the telephone rang and Rory stood up to pick it.

"You like hot sauce?" Joey asked.

"I don't know. Should I?"

"I think It's wise." The boy added, passing her the sauce.

Joey seeing that her sister went away with the phone decided to follow her. "Hey, it's everything okay?"

"I miss you too, but-" She spoke to the phone, looking at the girl with a worried look. Joey got what was happening in a second, and she mouthed "Paris" to her sister for her to use as an excuse. "But Paris is here." Rory explained why to the guy. The youngest twin walked again to the kitchen thinking that with that it'll be enough excuse for the boy not to come. He thought that her girlfriend was having an alone night, and as he is, he would get angry.