6

Lily let out a soft moan as she shifted in bed. Her soft covers wrapped her in a warm, comforting embrace. She didn't want to open her eyes, wishing to sleep forever...

But then she sat up, panicking at the silence that filled the house.

Usually there were dishes and glasses banging in the kitchen as her father rummaged around for his morning beer and something to eat.

Today, there was nothing.

She slowly made her way to her bedroom door, pausing to take note of the now purpling bruise around her neck. Time froze as she looked at herself. Her golden blonde hair was ratty from tangles, her neck looked like it would never go back to her natural skin tone, and her wrist looked redder than ever. She could even make out some slight bruising from when her father squeezed.

Hazel eyes stared back at her, completely lifeless.

Lily stared for a moment longer before making her way down to the kitchen. She walked slowly, keeping her caution radars up, ready to move at the slightest sound.

There was no one.

She relaxed slightly and make a quick pass through the house. Her confusion rose. Where is he? What is going on?

When she entered the kitchen again, she saw a note waiting for her on the island. Slowly, she picked it up and read through her father's recognizable chicken scratch:

SONG BIRD

I HAVE BEEN CALLED AWAY ON IMPORTANT BUSINESS.

I WILL RETURN IN A FEW DAYS.

BEHAVE. I WILL KNOW IF YOU DON'T.

I EXPECT YOU TO BE WAITING FOR ME.

Lily felt her jaw drop as she read through the note several more times. He's gone? He's really gone?

A sudden weight was lifted off her shoulders and a smile crossed her face. He had never left her home alone before. Never. When she was younger, he used to pull her from school so she could go with him, and he would keep her locked in the hotel room all day.

She didn't pause to think about the reasoning behind this, instead she ran up to her room, got dressed in her usual hoodie and packed a change of clothes for her dance class today, humming and singing to herself brightly.

When she got to class, she saw eight boys sitting in a circle in the back of the room talking rapidly. She didn't recognize three of them, but she just shrugged and made her way over.

"Hey guys!" She said, having a hard time hiding just how happy she was.

"Lily!" San and Yunho said at the same time, both smiling and motioning for her to join them. She did, sitting between the two.

"How are you today?" San asked, leaning closer to her.

"I'm excited to get started. I think I have an idea for one of the songs."

The group stared at her and most of them smiled.

"Well, I guess we should go back to our own group them," one boy said as he stood and stretched his arms above his head. Lily was surprised to see his hair styled like a mullet. Not many people could pull, but some how he did. "I'm Hongjoong by the way, I don't think we've officially met." He smiled and wiggled his fingers in a soft, but cute wave.

"Lily," she introduced herself.

"This is Mingi and Jongho," Yunho said motioning to both in turn. They both smiled before following after Hongjoong.