The Hacker: Chapter 9

(Fan cover in media by MysticalBlaze!)

Without a breath or a shiver, Red tossed out his first pokemon. From the exploding pokeball a yellow rat flung out. Zags of saffron lightning bolts sparked off into the clear air as the Pikachu poised himself into the snow, white piles sinking up to the stub of the electric-types chin. The pokemon's obsidian orbs showed a strength and intimidation that even sent chills down my spine, not from the below zero weather.

I have to win this. I will.

My pokemon's capsule gently was flicked off by my fingertips, gracefully turning in the air. From the bursting lights, Venusaur swung out. The snow her paws fell into was tossed up into the air as she let out a hardy roar, shivering her muscles slightly. I recalled that Pikachu's ability was static from when I was raising the small pokemon, meaning any form of physical contact has just been crossed off. "Venusaur, use Razor Leaf!" I quickly commanded, deciding to hold back the stronger moves for the future.

From her large flower, the leaves spun out and tore across the battle field. Pikachu stood undaunted by the incoming attack as his master rose a hand. Red sharply struck his arm across his body to his left side, a silent direction. The Pikachu in seconds became engulfed in a glaring surge of electricity sparking from his cheeks, taking the entire body. The Razor Leaf was zapped into ashes as they sped into the electricity.

Still absorbed in the power, the pokemon took a single step before rushing off like a blur. The golden light zagged back and forth like the pokemon's own tail before he wedged between Venusaur's thick legs. He shot up against her belly, the power tossing her up. With collision, thunder rumbled in the distance while the brilliant lightning bounced off and against my pokemon.

The Pikachu quickly vibrated back to his battle location, a trail of snow parted where his running path was. It uncovered the dark stone at our feet as the Pikachu took low breaths, the attack obviously taking a toll.

But not as much as it did to my Venusaur who tottered like a child taking their first steps. Her head trembled to be held high as her reaching leaves shivered. Rising from her stomach I could see dark marks from where the lightning and roped burns across her. "Razor Leaf, Venusaur!" I still demanded to push her forward. At the time, I took no notice at the use of Volt Tackle in this Fire Version. It took time for me to one day realize that the move was not introduced until Generation III.

And like the obedient partner she was, my pokemon staggered into her battle position. From her gigantic blossom locked on her spin she propelled numerous leaves which spun out with fine rims. Pikachu took small leaps back to dodge each bit of foliage. In moments, the rosy-cheeked pokemon was flicking his jagged tail beside his master's pant leg.

Red silently turned out the yellow mouse's capsule, recalling him. The trainer tucked the pokeball back as he tossed a new one into battle. From a bright gleaming, a pair of wings unfurled themselves. They were an indigo with a vibrant orange lining. Two great paws dug into the snow while the monster let out a resounding roar. The draconic head swung around, his eccentric blue eyes striking at Venusaur.

If you couldn't tell already, it's Charizard.

And my next move was fatal.

I hesitated. My mind debated whether to return Venusaur to her pokeball to send out another. Or to keep Venusaur battling to the point she faints to knock down health points of the Flying-Fire starter.

At the same moment I reached for the next pokemon's pokeball settled in my bag, it was too late. Red gave a flick of his hat. Charizard's belly expanded, glowing a faint red, as the pokemon's head rolled back before thrusting forward. Its angled jaw pulled open before firing a thick plume of fire, the blaze snapped just at the feet of Venusaur. The embers of the luminescent fire burned from a dull red to a starry white.