The Hacker: Chapter 18

"Leaf!"

A distant voice called out, my head throbbed painfully as the words themselves became sucked into the glitch. Each letter screaming all around me. Tiles in the vision I saw were mixtures of static, numbers, status ailments and faces. So many faces, pixilated apart. I couldn't move, as much as I wanted to clutch my head as I believed I was about to die.

I mean--- if this really all is a coma, I'd wake up right?

But if it isn't, would Mewtwo kill everyone?

Or would he hunt Mew himself?

What if I really die?

What is after death?

Is this really where I am going to lose?

My thoughts bounded around and were amplified by the glitch around that suffocated me. I scrunched my face together with the feeling of wanting to cry, the possibilities shaking my very core. I swore that was the end, yet something deep within my crushing heart was telling me that the voice that called out Leaf would help.

But why would it? I believed it was a figment of my imagination.

Until something snatched my waist. Like a hook snapping around paper. The strength dug into my stomach as another snake-like thing wrapped parallel from the first. With a few great heaves the cesspool of darkness and numbers was swirling in front of my eyes. I was no longer engulfed by the glitch.

My mouth still drawn open from needing to scream, I did. Falling backwards, I landed against what had pulled me from whatever that was. They grunted under their breath. Realizing it was a person who had just saved me, I turned up so my eyes would meet ones like the rising sun. My entire body stiffened like a plank as one name mumbled past my lips in a hushed squeak, "Red?"

The corner of the trainer's mouth curled into a gentle smirk. A kinda greeting.

I smiled back to him, with his chest against my back I could feel his heart beating. And in a tower full of ghosts with no pulse, a heartbeat is very reassuring. My heart was almost in sync with his when my expression melted away into a fear as I stood up promptly and faced him with a stutter, "W-wait. Why are you here? Aren't you banished to Mt. Silver?" His gaze told me he really didn't care about his banishment. "A-And why did you save me? I am kinda the reason you were banished, I technically have to take your pokemon so I can leave, I really don't see anyone here as a person---" I cut myself off.

The quiet trainer rose up, his smile now a seldom line as he held a gaze on me. I stared into his pools, trying to read what he was thinking. But it felt impossible, I somewhat was helpless until the boy would speak.

"Red? P-please answer me."

He remained silent as he continued to stare at me, my chest closing up into itself.

I hung my head to him, my mess of hair drooping at my waist line. I remembered what I saw in Cerulean Cave, the memories of Mewtwo who shared them with Red. How he was betrayed by his father, alone for so long. The guilt that washed over me the time I first battled Red came back, "I'm sorry."

"Stop," his voice told me, my face condoning as I waited for what I thought would be the cold truth I had to face. But it wasn't, "saying you're sorry." I shot my head back to face the soot-haired boy whose face was giving me a warm look. "You said it to me... right after we finished our battle, though I didn't understand at first, I get it... now." He affirmed to me calmly. "I forgive you, home is a good thing to return too. And... It's okay."

My bottom lip quivered as I looked to Red as a sudden grin burned into my face. At the same time, my eyes fogged up. I didn't want to cry anymore, so this will be the last time. That I had vowed to myself as the water rolled down my cheeks like lava. All I ever wanted to hear is that it would be okay. And at that time, more than ever. I sniffed a giant wad of snot back into my nose like a young child while still displaying my smile.