The Hacker: Chapter 13

The almost silent trainer motioned towards the cave entrance calmly, though his expression seemed surprised by my unwelcoming composure. Still, the two of us scurried in, just small blips in the swirling snow so cold it burned.

In the shelter of the cavernous mountain, I shook the ice crystals formations from my hair and patted my hat out before facing back to Red, "I found a book," I hissed like the zephyr roaring outside. My face painted with a grave boredom as I held eye contact with him.

He swayed noiselessly with full knowledge he really would not have to answer.

"I was in the burnt mansion on Cinnabar. It was an observation journal by a scientist who tried to replicate an extinct pokemon. Though he came across a problem, he lacked the bare amount of DNA needed for the cloning process."

Once more, I was met with an eerie silence.

The wordless boy started an anxious bubbling in the pit of my stomach, "So he had to find a substitute to supply the remaining DNA to power cell mitosis. The problem was that it also had to be accepted by the original sample."

The emotionless mood in his Red eyes faltered; for a moment his soul was truly revealed.

It was shattered.

I knew it at that moment, yet I pressed to continue, "The scientist found one," Red suddenly looked older than he was. Most, he held an ambience of a child unbroken by the world. But not at this time, "His son."

"Stop," the dark tone vibrated the air, the hair on the back of my neck stood on end- frozen on point.

"It was you, wasn't it?" I shook away the mild fear and hurried with a negative excitement. "Red, your name was in the journal! What happened in the tests? What was the successful clone like? I need to know!"

"No, you don't Leaf. Now drop it!" his escalated voice was terrifying. My entire body shrunk back, but that wasn't the end of it. "The hell that I went through as a child should stay where it is! In the past! I tore those pages and spread them away for a reason!"

He was the one who separated the pages... Arceus, I never believed I could be so frightened of Red.

I took in a breath, suddenly finding my tennis shoes the most interesting things in the virtual world. "S-sorry..." I stuttered out. Good job screwing something up again, Leaf. My stomach plummeted as almost everything sat on my shoulders. "I'll--- I'll just go now---"

The voice I knew suddenly returned to its seemingly unbroken innocence, "Stay," steadily staring back up, Red was the one now angling his head away. "You can stay, if you want..."

To my hesitant response he pouted like a child trying not to admit they were sorry, still attempting to make it up.

I thought of Blue.

Was that wrong?

Whether wrong or not, the next person I thought of was Selphy. Her long, buffed out nails brushing against Blue's hand. The two inching closer and closer right before---

"Yeah, I think I will stay for a bit," I feigned a grin to the trainer whose temper simmered down. "I need to clear my head."

He nodded and went to tend to his pokemon while I decided to take a nap against one of the inner-cave walls. Gently snuggling myself into a ball I drifted off into sleep.

Nothing I dreamed about was really important. Just that I should never get into genetics because if I did I would re-create dinosaurs, except only the Tyrannosaurus Rex species. And one single clot of their DNA exposed to oxygen for a certain amount of time will cause them to mutate into their full forms. Which was how they reproduced. Just spit into the ground. They then burned the entire word, killing everyone I loved. Leaving me to sit there huddled outside of my former high school garden. Well, I was with my two "best friends"(a guy and a girl I didn't actually know but in the dream I acknowledged them as so). The one I loved in the dream was killed. It was by the first T-Rex I created. To keep preservation of myself and who I had left, I traded the Tyrannosaurus Rex a pokemon card. (Don't ask me, I think this world was getting to my head)