The Hacker: Chapter 17

A ghostly lull filled in from all around, it was as if I were drowning in the noiselessness. My breath shook behind my rib cage as I proceeded forward up to floor two from the lobby. Each grave was carved into deeply, names and messages like: "Beloved pet." "Trusted partner." "Life won't ever be the same without you." "Good luck on the other side." Here and there the walls would run up with disfigured codes in lime green lettering and black nothingness splotches.

The Glitch acted as if a parasite or a virus would. Yes that is very accurate, a virus. I traced it with my vision as it seeped from the ceiling like slime. Slow and horrendously.

One cement stone flickered, like a game portrait glitching. It only moved for a brief moment. Gently, I paced over to the stone which emanated a cold aura.

I knelt down to read, "Rest In Pieces."

"Delightful," I muttered, "the Glitch has a sense of humor..." My spine ran down with an icy chill quickly as I spun around. Paranoia eating my insides slowly. A violet haze sunk in around, dancing closer and closer. Forming in the center was a plum like object, snow white eyes flickering open. Its mouth widened to reveal two pearly fangs before screaming with an agonizing torture. The figure ran through with hundreds of digit, the creature spinning around in a confused rampage. Gastly then lunged at me as he screeched in its agonized craze before fizzling off into thousands of numbers and codes all around. They drifted just spaces away from where I had huddled and when I cautiously rose back up, I dared not brush the floaters in fear of what could ensue.

I shakily let out my breath and pushed onward. I had half the mind that day to run out of that place screaming. It was the curiosity to seek the truth, one which I was blinded from, that ushered me to continue. I thought I needed to see it all so to truly understand.

It was by the fourth floor where everything was really coming apart. The festering mold of the Glitch spread from wall to wall, speckling across the ground with holes leading to oblivion. Tombstones dissolved away into codes like they were being eaten by the corrosive hydrofluoric acid.

The tower shook with the ghoulish shrieks of the pokemon that once called this graveyard their home. Their screams forming an overly familiar tune that trickled though Lavender Town in the original games. Each scream adding to the harmony for a new note, sending violent shakes though my body. Gastly playing the high piercing notes like falling rain. The Cubones rolling moans giving a background. The Haunter creating the low echo of its pre-evolution.

Their screams tearing at me, making me want to scream too. I felt like I was going insane. My head being thrown over my shoulder every other second for anything that could jump out at me. Anything that would break away spontaneously.

Words left on remaining headstones would read odd things now, some were the letters just jumbled around, others only portions left. Some just being creepy shit.

And I am pretty sure that on one of the stones I saw an etching that looked somewhat like MissingNo. When I looked back at it, the stone read: "F0rg3t"

The stones began to flash about, changing their original positions. If one happened to block my way, I took the time to scan the words before moving around them.

"R3m3MB3R" It seemed etched smaller than the rest.

"Gr8 10ss" In average size as all the past writings would read.

"+R<3 B3+r@%@1" This was written messily across the tomb stone, over and over.

"!W S0??%" Two single words took up the entire grave stone.

"D3@+H" It was just like any other tomb stone.

"! H3Z!+@+3D" This too took up the entire headstone.