The Hacker: Chapter 24

"Mommy! Daddy!" from a distance I watched, Blue stringing just behind me, as a haunted smile veiled over my expression for a moment. A child at the age of six with jade hued hair was running at her top speed across the grassy pain of Fortune Island with arms spread. Across from her were two average looking adults with tears welling up in their silver eyes. The mother collapsed to her knees as she enveloped her arms around the little girl, breaking into sobs. Though, before, there was a pause by the parents to recognize the girl.

"Copycat! Oh my Arceus, Copycat, you're okay!" She cried out, calling her child the nickname the girl was dubbed for her unique talents. The pale girl giggled though the streams that ran down her cheeks as she changed from to look like her mom. The dad stood over with pink tinting the whites of his eyes as he rubbed his wife's back tenderly.

I let out a gentle breath, "Finally," I was happy for the girl, yet the feeling was a bittersweet upsurge within me.

Blue cocked his head to me, speaking almost too gently, "You know the kid?"

My head snapped back with a shock, forcing a fake smile forth, "Ah, yeah. I met her on the islands now and then. The entire time she was searching for her parents who she had been separated from," I wasn't exactly lying. "It's nice to see she found them."

"Well now it's time for you to find Mew," He spoke dryly. "Pattern Bush is filled with wild pokemon. If I were a mirage, I'd rather hide amongst pokemon than humans."

"True," I spoke, the two of us continuing though the town. I took a quick glance up to the hazed skies, rippling ashen clouds covering any blue to be seen. The sun barely fighting its way through the clots of water and air, "So, why is it called Pattern Bush?"

The ginger spiked teen looks down to me with his eyebrows angled crookedly, "They say that the grass patches there is shaped in a unique pattern. But rarely anyone has seen it."

"Uh huh," I hummed, my eyes starting to catch on Red who trailed us in a nonchalant manor, his shoulders relaxed as he took stance behind few tourists as their casted shadows. Swiftly, I shot back my gaze to blue and gave a twitched smile, "How about you go on ahead? I want to take my Pidgeot up so I can see what the pattern is. See ya!" I gave my exit, taking a shallow run from the trainer and over to where Red glanced.

"Hey," He greeted curtly, my arm linking with his so that I would tug him away from the broken crowd.

We waited quietly, exchanging long stares in the dark looming of pines which bordered the forest we were about to enter. It was odd, Red rarely ever broke eye contact. "So, good job finding Eos' parents," I began quietly, quickly transitioning into the next subject. "We will be searching a nearby forest for Mew. Since it's a forest, you could still tag along in the same area while being hidden or you could stay in town."

The boy simply shrugged, an airbrushed flush spreading across his ghostly pale skin as his rufescent eyes poorly hide a sort of conflict. I began to part my mouth to ask if anything was bothering him, but I was beat to the punch. Red suddenly lurched forward, his surprisingly tepid pair of lips pressing with the softness of a feather into my right cheek. A smooching click hushed to the ear closest as he pulled back, both of our faces turned a matching scarlet, "From Eos," he muttered hastily, his oculi tearing off to nervously stare away.

"Ah..." I stuttered, my insides feeling weightless while the air I took in sent gentle pulses though my entire body. The spot he kissed still tickling with what felt like electricity spreading farther across my face, "I'm going to go to the forest now," I followed with uneven pauses between each word that passed my lips.

I bolted off, like time and time again, already releasing Pidgeot from his capsule. The large bird had his wings prepared for takeoff as I hopped onto his back, his angelic plumage that whipped into my face though the winds not as soft as what I had just felt. Even as we took off into the skies, the ethereal manifestation within me crushing the comparison with flying.