you picked the bitch's side

end of june

(okay so this might sound completely drastic to you since you probably understood that this story starts on the first day of school, but in reality it starts on joey's first day of school, which was the first day of the second term for the rest of the guys. i hope this explains that it's not a really big jump in time after all.)

joey's pov

i ring the bell to adam's house and after a while jane comes to open the door. i greet her and she lets me in.
"how have you been honey? how was your trip to california?" jane asks me, while we enter the kitchen.
"it's been great, it always feels good being home after a whole year" i tell her "thank u for asking, how have you and adam been instead?" i ask her back
"oh well besides the extremely hot weather, everything's been fine" she smiles at me "would you like anything to drink?" she asks me and i nicely refuse
"i'm okay, thank u tho" i smile back at her
"oh adam is outside btw" she tells me and i nod.
i walk over the glass wall that divides the kitchen from the backyard where the pool is and right when i take one step outside, someone falls on me. someone really really wet.
"omg" adam shouts and starts laughing.
mia gets up, her back facing me "adam i'm going to kill you" she laughs before turning towards me. gosh i have to admit i have missed her laugh.
"jane i'm so so sorry i didn't mean to-" she stops right when she looks at me. and i realize i have been smiling just when my smile dies on my face, seeing the cold hard look that i haven't missed at all.
"hey-" i start saying but she cuts me off
"i'll see you tomorrow, adam" she picks her clothes off the ground and walks inside. i can't help but look at her ass while she walks away. omg lord please take my soul.
i snap out of my trance and i look at adam. i notice nicole standing beside him. when our eyes meet she looks away "i'll call you later baby" she pecks adam's lips and enters the house.
i look at adam and he shrugs.
"why are they still like that?" i ask him
"dude you picked the bitch's side, what did you expect" he walks towards me and i feel a weird feeling in my stomach.
"don't call her like that" i glare at him and he raises his brows at me.
"well that's what i think of her and if you're not okay with it you can leave" he crosses his arms.
we look at each other a little longer before bursting out laughing. i walk towards him and we bro-hug. i'm never going to argue with adam for a girl, not even hailey. yes what he said about her kinda bothered me but not enough to put up a fight with my best friend.
"so how was cali?" we sit down by the pool.

"adam dinner is almost- oh i'm sorry" jane stops when she notices me and adam were in the middle of a conversation. we've been talking all afternoon about what happened during the past month.
"honey you want to stay with us for dinner?" jane nicely asks me. i look at my phone and see it's almost 8pm.
"oh don't worry, i actually should get home before my mom calls the cops" i chuckle and she giggles "thank you tho" i thank her and she smiles warmly at me.
i get up from the couch and take my hoodie, i walk towards the door and start putting it on.
"adam you should call nicole after dinner" i hear jane telling adam, who's walking towards me.
he turns around to look at her "um why?" he asks her.
"leo has just called me..." i think leo is nicole and mia's older brother. i saw him once at the end of a party at their house.
jane hesitates looking at me, before going on "mr evans is back" she says and i feel my heart beat speed up. wasn't he recovering from the alcohol?
"what do you mean he's back? he wasn't supposed to get out of the recovery center in another year and a half" adam says, shocked almost like me.
jane looks at me and frowns "i think i should leave the two of you alone, bye honey and tell jen i said hi" she tells me and i look at her still dumbfounded. this woman and her being reserved.
adam turns back to me and stuffs his hands in his pockets "i'll text you bro" he leans in to hug me and pats my back.
when i don't hug him back he pulls away and furrows his brows "what's wrong?" he asks me.
"i'd like to be there for mia and nicole" i tell him.
he looks at me with sorry in his eyes. he puts his hand on my shoulder "dude i get that you were friends and you still care about them, but remember that they are not the types to share certain parts of their life with everyone" he tells me and i scoff.
"thank u adam, you make me feel so special" i roll my eyes trying not to think about the light pain in my chest. even tho mia and i haven't been on the best of terms in the past few months, i thought nicole and i could still be friends. and facing reality has been harsher than i thought it would.
"you know i didn't mean it that way" adam chuckles "but remember how you left? you got into a really bad fight and if you really want them to consider you their friend again, you should give them some space" he says and i nod, knowing he's right.

"so what do you think?" hailey bites down on her lip.
as soon as i got back home, after my mom had shouted at me for not answering any of her calls, hailey called me and started rambling nervously.
she asked me to go with her to a dinner to meet her mom's new boyfriend. hailey's dad left her when hailey was just a child and now her mom seems to have found 'the man of her life'.
i mean it's not even that exaggerated to ask me to go with her: we've been dating for a few months now and we've been getting closer and closer everyday. i've even taken her to her laser and lamp sessions.
so why the fuck am i freaking out? it's like i'm scared of what this could mean to hailey. yes she is my girlfriend but c'mon, did you really think i was gonna take this relationship that seriously? i mean i'm still an asshole with girls.
"i-i think t-that's okay" i stutter, unsure.
she squeals through the phone and i distance it from my ear "so you'll come with me?" she asks excited.
"sure" i tell her and she squeals again. i swear i'm becoming deaf one of these days.
"thank u thank u thank uuuu!" she screams "you're the best boyfriend ever!" she hangs on me.
i sit on my bed and run my hand through my hair, sighing.