Chp 140 - Hazel's POV

A/N: Dedicated to @nothingwithoutwords whose book of one-shots inspired me to keep going with this fic

Hazel's Flashback

TUESDAY 3rd January

Hazel rechecked the address on the letter from the lawyers' office she had received the day before.

Please, God, don't let them take it away.

Calm down, Hannah.

That small amount of money every month is what keeps me fed. I don't think someone would give me a job. What could I do? Portraits?

Even if they take it away, I doubt Nanni will leave you to starve.

I'm not close to Nanni as you're to Nico.

Now he knows you're his sister, I doubt he will abandon you; even after we leave.

***

In the end, the reason for their visit was the exact opposite of Hannah's fear. The lawyers had received express orders from her father to find Hannah a new house respecting her taste, preferably closer to Nanni's. They also handed her a credit card with a limit so high Hannah had lost the ability to think for three full minutes. Even her step-mother had made it clear the house should have a closet big enough to fit all Hannah's new clothes that would arrive in two weeks. Hazel told the lawyer she would think it through and email him with her ideas, knowing she wanted time and privacy to listen to Hannah's ideas.

Leaving the building in a haze, she went back home in silence, letting Hannah absorb the new information.

I think I'm feeling sick.

Well, it's quite a change.

Can I feel sick? You control my body, shouldn't you be the one feeling sick? Oh, God, what am I going to do?

Take a break. Think about something else entirely.

Like what? My childhood? It won't work to call me down, you know.

Which food did you hate as a kid that you like it now?

What?

I'm giving you something else to think about. So?

Hm... almonds, I guess.

Any quirk about food? Something stupid that takes away your appetite?

Not that I remember... actually, I'm not sure I understand the question.

Well, I, for example, don't like raw tomatoes. Unless you remove every single seed.

Why?

I don't know, I don't like it. You?

Hm... oh, I got one! I like watermelon, but not its juice.

Really? Ok... the food you would NEVER try.

Fried insects. Argh, I feel shivers only imagining. Ok, my turn. Weirdest thing you ever ate.

WEDNESDAY, 4th January

The moment her alarm went off, Hazel knew they were in no condition to go to school. Before Hannah could suggest they stay at home, Hazel felt their mouth quickly filling with saliva and jumped out of bed and ran to the bathroom. After she finished washing her mouth and face with trembling hand, she sat down, hoping the cold tile helped ease her nausea.