22~ Words Hurt

"What's this?" my mom growled, slamming an all-too-familiar magazine down on the table. I glanced down at it and gulped the rest of the cereal in my mouth down my throat. I rubbed my eyes, hoping for the terror in front of me to just disappear when I looked back again, but it didn't. It was bad enough having to see it for myself yesterday at the mall, but having to explain all of this to my mom wasn't ideal. At least all the boys were off watching TV at the moment; It would be even worse to have to explain this in front of them again.

"It's nothing. It looks a lot worse than it is," I said quickly, but I didn't sound very convincing. My mom glared at me, causing me to avoid her gaze.

"Oh really?" she asked loudly, causing me to jump. "Because it sure looks like one of the boys staying here with us was feeling you up and snogging you at some random club. God only knows what else happened."

"Well... maybe that did happen. But if I'm okay with it, then you should be too," I said, slowly begining to cross my arms over my chest.

"I'm not okay with it, Shyler. Do you realize how bad this looks? Not only is it just me finding out, but the rest of the world too! People are going to get upset and bad things might happen and-"

"Why are you so concerned?" I asked, huffing out a breath. "It's my life."

She looked at me like it was obvious. I guess it kind of was... at least for a mom. "Because I don't want you to screw it up."

I sighed."You don't have to look after me. I'm not a little kid anymore."

"Of course you're not. You're an adult. Which means you should have enough responsibility to make good decisions."

"I do!" I cried."Besides, it was just one night."

"One night can change a whole heck of a lot, Shyler," she said, her voice knowing.

"Then I'll deal with the consequences."

"What, like an STD?! Maybe a kid?!" she said, growing angry once again.

"Mom, WE DIDN'T HAVE SEX!" I screeched. How could she not understand that?!

"It sure looks like you came close to it," she spat, making me irritated.

"Why can't you believe me?!" I shrieked.

"Do I need any more reason?!" she exploded, pointing at the magazine again.

I rolled my eyes and snorted in frustration. "I told you, that's the worst thing that happened!"

"That's not the only reason I'm upset, though," she stated.

"Then what's the other reason?!" My frustration was starting to get the best of me.

"You broke your promise."

I suddenly felt bad, and I began to gush, "Mom, I'm sorry, it just happened, I was drunk and-"

"YOU WERE DRUNK?!"

Shit.

"...umm..."

"That's it. These boys are to leave immediately. They're a bad influence on you. I mean, I don't even know who you are anymore..."

"Please, don't make them leave! I'm still me! I haven't changed one bit!" I begged, hoping to calm her down. Of course, with my luck, it only had the opposite effect.

"Oh, so you've been an alcoholic whore who sleeps around this whole time?" She spat at me.

Did those words really just come out of my own mother's mouth? The words stung as if I had just been slapped in the face. I just looked at her, and my eyes began to water. I wouldn't give her the satisfaction of winning, so I gave her the best glare I could manage and gritted my teeth together. "Fuck you."