Chapter 7

Jade basked under the warmth of the fire. Her landlord's little dog was currently burrowed in his lap while Jade sat on the floor leaning against his leather armchair. There was something about a warm fireplace that reminded her of home. She would often curl up next to her father's cosy chair and watch him read to her.

Her thoughts had transported her so far away into the past that she managed to miss Mr. Gepetto addressing her the first time. The old man had to prod her with his bejeweled finger to finally catch her attention.

Mr. Gepetto repeated his question about what challenge she was to undergo next. After the horse riding classes another round of men were soundly rejected based on their appalling horse riding skills. One of them was an insufferable dandy Jade had loathed upon introduction to her satisfaction.

"We're off to the summer capital. It's a smaller and relaxed counterpart of the city palace thus much easier to understand and follow. Fewer courtiers, fewer advisors make it less of a challenge for a new secretary," Jade mimicked Elliot's proper tones. She curled her long locks in her fingers absentmindedly.

"And what do you make of Prince Luke?" The old landlord asked. The jewels on his hands glistened in the firelight distraction her for a moment.

"We were meant to be introduced for an interview but he has yet to show his face. I suppose he could not care less who turns up next to him," The girl said with a petulant shrug.

"That's not unexpected. He's been more reticent as of late," The man said, petting the dog in his lap.

"I have heard only kind things about him but he seems rather moody," Jade suddenly asked curiously, "How can love break what was a strong, well bred, young man? Is love truly that potent?"

"Love can be a boon and it can be a bane. Fate decides everything," Mr. Gepetto answered mysteriously.

"Is that why you never married?" Jade asked and belatedly felt ashamed to ask such a personal question. Mr Gepetto just gave her his usual grin and Jade dropped the matter immediately.

She was suddenly hit with a troubling thought that she had to share, "I shall be expected to share quarters with other men. I will be caught instantly as soon as I take my clothes off. Oh, dear!"

"Peace, my child. I doubt the accommodations will be so uncivilised. They will give you a place to change even if the accommodations are not solitary. Servants are treated with dignity in the palace," Mr Gepetto tried to sooth her frazzled nerves.

"I should hope so."

...

The day of their departure arrived sooner than she wanted it to. Time had flown like a gust of wind when her nerves were rattled like they were. She had grown fond of Mr. Gepetto and felt bereft of his company and wisdom as she walked into the city palace with her threadbare luggage case.

At the stables the remaining seven men were bundled into a royal stage coach and were soon waved off by the stable in charge. It was a surprisingly comfortable ride leaving them room to stretch their legs. They sat in rows of benches made of leather and fine cloth. Behind leather curtains Jade could see the city grow smaller and smaller as the coach climbed a gentle incline. She felt drowsy by the turns of the road but the shorter man beside her took to snoring and there was not much to do but appreciate the view.

The summer palace was a white marble structure constructed in the classical column style. It was higher up in the hills but beyond some undulating, green, landscape it was not obvious how high up they were due to human intervention. The landscape that welcomed the stage coach was flattened to create formal gardens that encircled the white structure. Jade was informed by one of her fellow candidates that behind the Palace was a less manicured garden which contained a deep lake as a focal point.

The seven candidates were ushered out by an important looking servant into the side entrance. Their luggage followed them on a trolley while their attendant pointed at various artworks and architectural designs to inform the group of their importance. Jade's mind was hazy from the travels but she knew this must be another test and consequently kept her eyes and ears open. A good secretary must be conscious of their surroundings no matter how they fared physically.

The dormitory the group was led into was large and communal as Jade had feared. With arched, sloping ceilings and wide proportions the room easily contained beds for all the competitors. Jade was relieved to find a common bathing area that contained multiple private stalls for bathing and dress. At least her secret would remain safe if she could keep her wig on during the night.

"Oye, come 'ere chaps! We've been invited to this garden thingy," Paul, a stout, young man, shouted from the dorm area while Jade admired the golden taps in the bathing room.

"We have been formally invited to a garden party tomorrow afternoon hosted by the Royal Princes," Harry, a prim and proper clerk, snatched the envelope and announced as the tall girl walked back to where everyone else was gathered.

The room erupted in an argument over who would sleep where which Jade had no interest in partaking in. She took the time to take an unwanted bed near the corner and organised her luggage accordingly.

...

The very next day the group was up bright and early. They had their outfits pressed by the servants assigned to their rooms and found out from their loose mouthed attendants that they weren't the only occupants of the castle. The crown Prince had uprooted his entire social circle and brought them for the inauguration of a new royal acquisition.

Jade, in her starched navy breeches and matching overcoat, was led over to the back gardens with the rest of the pack. The men who had never had the pleasure of being invited to the palace's myriad of events were vowed by the lake that was nestled between two green hills.

The luncheon was packed to the brim with gaily dressed men and women when they had arrived. It seemed like the Prince upended the entire capital and invited them here to the party but even Jade, a permanent recluse for all intents and purposes, knew that was far from the truth. Only a select few handpicked from the Prince's social circle would be here tonight. Permelia had certainly been vocal how even her father's money had not enabled her to enter the Palace's elite and gain any such invitation.

The men eventually tiring of gaping at the festivities around them wandered off from each other in smaller groups although the Jade unconsciously took the time alone. She observed how some guests sat on round tables while the more adventurous took to lounging on the ground over appropriate picnic blankets and cushions. There was serving staff offering tea and many other delights while the crowd paid homage to the boat standing at the edge of the lake.

The tall girl nearly bumped into a short, fair figure and found herself face to face with Emma who looked absolutely delighted to see her. Her squeal of delight caused a few irritated glances their way.

"Oh, Oh, I am so delighted to see you. I thought I would be here all alone," The plump girl danced on the toes of her feet. Her pale face was red with excitement and exertion.

"You father is not accompanying you?" Jade asked, unable to keep a grin from forming on her face.

"He's stayed back at the capitol palace. He had much work to do," Emma grabbed her hand and led her closer to the lake where there was more privacy.

"Unchaperoned?" Jade sounded like a governess or two she'd had before she'd run them off, "Does he not fear you would accosted by someone unsavoury all alone."

Emma rolled her eyes at the display of overprotectiveness, "Your impertinent speech makes me glad I have no brothers. I have been invited here every summer since I was a child. I know my way around. And we are guests to the highest authority in our kingdom. I doubt any of the Princes would allow unsavoury company to enter the premises."

Jade bit back a smile realising her own hypocrisy. As a genteel woman she rued the bounds of society that kept her confined to a house and here she was giving lectures of propriety to another young woman. Had dressing up as a man addled her brains?

"Very well but what to do about Princes themselves. There is one at least I find quite wayward," The taller of the two girls pointed out.

"Prince Edward has not bothered me at all since we arrived here if that is the question behind your words" Emma answered bluntly.

"Good. He keeps going out of his way just to approach and needle you with his pinching behaviour. I am your friend and I don't like it when they're being bullied," Jade replied with stubborn scowl

"You're a very good friend indeed, sir, for no one has noticed his annoying behaviour, although I have hardly any friends in the palace. I have been called a church bell far to often to make the effort any longer," The librarian's daughter looked at the crowd wistfully.

"I am glad to be your friend even if I no longer have to reason to stay at the Palace," The navy clad girl said promptly making her plump friend gush.

Emma noticed the large steam boat being filled up by the party goers and pointed at it, "They're all climbing the boat. I have never been on the new royal acquisition. Let's try it at once."

"The Crown prince is already holding court in the top floor," Jade looked at the crowd concentrated on his end disdainfully.

"Well, we shall stay in the bottom one like all us commoners should," The fair haired girl shrugged and held her friends hands as they made a run for it since the the boat captain was signalling for the doors to shut. They ran up to the boat moments before the rope was let go by the captain's apprentice.

Much to Jade's annoyance a group of candidates were already occupying parts of the lower deck. Apparently everyone was eager to ride in this new steam contraption. They pointed and whispered at their joined hands and the girl wondered how ruthlessly she would be jeered at that night. Men were far more ruthless at gossiping and ribbing then women could ever be. It was just they hid it better in mixed company.

In the middle of the deck was a table full of refreshments. Jade's stomach rumbled loudly and she took it for a sign to advance on the spread. Emma too was eyeing it with interest since she had already proclaimed she had avoided breakfast to ensure she was not in the room with the crown Prince the first thing in the morning.

"I shall get us some refreshments," Jade gestured at the table. Emma nodded and clung to side of the boat admiring the beautiful view.

The table was full of many breads, jams and cheeses and it took great concentration to make the perfect combination of food when suddenly Jade heard a large splash accompanied by a scream. She spun around and realised someone had gone overboard. To her horror Emma was not standing where she had left her. Dropping the sanwiches back on the table Jade ran to the boat's end and watched Emma's golden head bobbing under water.

Jade could swim but the thought of losing her disguise made her pause. There was no way she could dive in that lake and come back with her wig and composure. In the seconds it took her to make up her mind to give up her future for the sake of her friend's life another man had jumped overboard.

His arms sliced through the turbulent water and gripped onto the thrashing girl. With ease he swam on his back brought the girl to the safety of the boat. A gaggle of female attendents pulled Emma up and encircling her, took her to the private chambers. Jade stood on her toes frantically trying to see her friend's condition.

"Why didn't you jump?"A familar voice asked from behind her. It was the long haired servant whom Jade had frequently bumped into.

"I don't know how to swim. I would have taken her down with me."Jade lied feeling utterly miserable for being so craven.

"I shall have to teach you one day," The dark haired man replied as he was handed a fluffy towel by a nervous attendant. The man rubbed his dark, wet hair in an attempt to tame them but was failing miserably.

"If I get the job that is. Nearly letting the librarian's girl drown might end my chances," The brown haired girl bit her lip morsosely, "I should see to how Emma fares."

"They shan't let you in. It's women's business. Let her be dressed and comforted. I doubt she will be making an appearance tonight after the terrible fright she had," The grey eyed man stopped her before she could move.

"I hope she has no ill feelings for me. I feel dreadful. I should not have left her alone," Jade muttered more to herself then Emma's saviour.

"I am familiar with Emma's generous nature. She has never wished anyone ill except for Edward but he usually deserves her ire," The man threw the towel back at the attendant who fumbled at the suddenness of the movement.

"You certainly are casual using the crown princes name. He's seems like the type to flay you alive if he heard you talk as such. Do you want to be guillotined by the crown prince for treason against his good name?" Jade punctuated her words with good natured laugh. Luke just gave his companion a brief smile revealing a dimple on one cheek.

The girl sighed at the sight of it. It was a shame she could never meet him as her true self because he had a very charming face especially when he smiled. Not that the man would be wooed by her mundane looks but it would be nice to be treated like a lady. If he had no flirtatious thoughts about her at least he would be flattering in a way men were to demonstrate politeness.

"I best be going. Sir Elliot is not pleased with my wandering spirit. I hope we meet in a better situation next time,"Jade said gruffly and gave her his hand which he shook firmly. The man's hands were sturdy and large as they engulfed hers completely.

The tall girl made her way back to the group of men crowded at the back. They were still petrified by the mingling nobility and were giving each other confused glancez. They all stared when Jade waved in their faces.

"It looks you've already won the position, old chap," Paul clapped her back with a mighty thud.

"How so? I nearly let a Lady drown in my company. I might as well start packing my bags," Jade gave him a puzzled look.

"You just shook Prince Luke's hand like you were long lost acquaintances. Who's betting this bloke's getting the job."

"What? That was him? He told me he was a servant," The girl could not contain her look of shock while Harry opened his notepad to write down the bets being placed.

"I bet that's why we've never laid eyes on the sod. He's been watching us in secret. But he's never approached me," Paul exclaimed.

"And certainly not me," Another man called Jacob added enviously.

Jade sat down on her bench not sure what to think of the situation. She looked at the crowd mingling in the bottom floor but soon realised her search was futile. Prince Luke had left the commoners and was back where he belonged.