TEN

chapter ten;
evolve

LUCY ENDED UP SHARING A BEDROOM WITH LILA

LUCY ENDED UP SHARING A BEDROOM WITH LILA. She didn't mind it, Lila isn't one of those annoying screaming kids, anyways. Lucy sat on the window seats, holding one of Lila's teddy bears. Lucy looked out of the window. There's not much to look at since it's dark and there's nothing but open field outside. But, Lucy found the wind blowing the grass and the shining moonlight peaceful.

She has been sitting there since she got there. It helps to calm her already anxious mind. Lucy's thought were interrupted by the sound of creaking door. The brunette turned to the door to see Lila walking inside. "Hi" Lila said. Lucy gave her a smile and a small wave. "My mom wanted you to know that dinner's ready. Everyone's downstairs already" she said.

Lucy nodded. "Okay, be there in a sec. Thanks, Lila" she smiled. Lila nodded. She was about to turn back towards the door, but stopped as her eyes landed at the teddy bear in Lucy's lap.

"Her name is Beary" Lila said. Lucy looked down at the teddy bear and smiled, stroking its brown fur.

"She's really cute. I hope you don't mind me borrowing her" Lucy said. Lila shook her head.

"I don't mind" she said. "I don't really play with her anymore ever since I got this" Lila said as she took a fluffy unicorn stuffed animal and held it up at Lucy's face. Lucy smiled.

"That is one fluffy unicorn" Lucy commented. Lila nodded before putting it back on her bed.

"I'll see you downstairs" Lila said, opening the doors. Lucy nodded. "The man with the eye patch also joined dinner, I thought maybe you'd like to know" Lila said before closing the door behind her. Lucy furrowed her eyebrows. What the hell is Nick Fury doing here?

Lucy placed the brown teddy bear back at where she took it before making her way downstairs. The sound of her footsteps caught everyone's attention. Lucy made her way towards the kitchen. "Ah, Ms. Stark. Long time no see. Nice to see you" Fury greeted. Lucy nodded.

"Nice to see you too" Lucy said, before taking a seat beside Natasha.

"Orange juice?" Natasha asked. Lucy nodded and took an empty glass as Natasha filled it up.

"Anyways, as I was saying, we still have no idea about any of his plans" Fury said. Lucy sipped on her orange juice.

"Is he still going after launch codes?" Tony asked.

"Yes, he is" Fury answered. "But, he's not making any headway" he added.

"I cracked the Pentagon's firewall in high school on a dare" Tony said. Lucy rolled her eyes. Noticing Lucy's response, Natasha sniffled a laugh.

"Well, I contacted our friends at Nexus about that" Fury informed.

"Nexus?" Steve questioned.

"It's the world's internet hub in Oslo" Bruce answered. "Every byte of data flows through there. It's the fastest internet access in the world"

"What did they say?" Lucy asked.

"He's fixated on the missiles. But, the codes are constantly being changed" Fury said. The girl furrowed her eyebrows.

"By who?" she asked.

"Parties unknown" Fury said.

"We have an ally?" Natasha asked.

"Ultron's got an enemy. That's not the same thing" Fury said. "Still, I'd pay folding money to know who that is" he added.

"I might have to visit Oslo. Find our unknown" Tony said.

"Well, this is good times, boss, but I was hoping when I saw you, you'd have more than that" Natasha commented.

"I do. I have you" Fury said. "And look, now Stark's also back and she does force field manipulation" he added, pointing at Lucy. The girl smiled awkwardly. "Back in the day, I had eyes everywhere, ears everywhere else. You kids had all the tech you could dream of" he said. "Here we all are, back on earth, with nothing but our wit and our will to save the world"

Silence fell over the group for a moment, before Lucy spoke up. "Ultron said that the only thing between him and his mission is the Avengers" she said, all eyes turned to her. "Whether he said it, or not, his mission is destroying the world" she added. Fury nodded at the brunette.

"So stand" Fury said. "Outwit the platinum bastard" he added, before taking a seat on the chair beside Lucy. The girl nodded and passed him the jar of orange juice. A smile formed on his lips as he poured the orange juice onto his empty glass.

"Steve doesn't like that kind of talk" Natasha smirked. Steve raised his eyebrows.

"You know what Romanoff?" he smiled.

"So what does he want?" Fury asked.

"To become better. Better than us" Steve said. Lucy nodded. "He keeps building bodies"

"Person bodies" Tony added. "The human form is inefficient. Biologically speaking, we're outmoded. But he keeps coming back to it"

"When you two programmed him to protect the human race, you amazingly failed" Natasha commented.

"They don't need to be protected" Bruce said. Lucy turned to the doctor and raised her eyebrows. "They need to evolve. Ultron's going to evolve" he added.

"How?" Fury asked.

"Has anyone been in contact with Helen Cho?" he asked. It was silent, and as Lucy scanned the face of her friends she realised that they were all piecing the pieces together. Everyone in the room had it all figured out, except for Lucy.

"Whoa whoa whoa, hold on. Who the hell is Helen Cho?"