FIVE

chapter five;
the thin line

"WHERE THE HELL ARE WE?" Lucy asked the twins

"WHERE THE HELL ARE WE?" Lucy asked the twins. The trio stood in front of a huge abandoned and damaged building in the middle of what seemed to be a market. Lucy glanced at the twins.

"A church" Wanda said.

"We used to go here often" Pietro added. Lucy sighed and looked down at her feet. Every time Pietro or Wanda mentions their parents, a wave of guilt washed over her. She felt guilty that her father's weapons were the ones that killed their parents. But, she's mostly guilty for lying about who she was.

It has been three years, and Lucy Stark is still Lucy Potts in the eye of Pietro and Wanda. Even after the Avengers attack on the Hydra base, Lucy still managed to cover her identity. She think of herself as a coward for lying to the two people that she cares about. But, at the time she was eleven, and was scared and didn't think straight. She should have gotten over that after three years, but she haven't. Now, she feels like it's too late and there's nothing she can do other than piling up lies over lies.

Pietro took Lucy's hands, distracting her from her thoughts, and guided her inside of the church with Wanda leading the way. "Talk. And if you're wasting our time-"

"Did you know that this church is in the exact center of the city?" the voice cut Wanda off. The voice came from the person sitting on the chair in the center of the floor. "The elders decreed it so that everyone could be equally close to god" it continued. Wanda walked closer in curiosity.

"Wanda.." Lucy whispered. Wanda put up her hand as she continued to approach it.

"I like that. The geometry of belief" it said. "You're wondering why you can't look inside my head"

"Sometimes it's hard" Wanda replied. "But, sooner or later every men show himself" she added. The person stood up from the seat, letting the fabric that covered him fell, revealing the metal exterior. It's not a person.

"Oh, I'm sure they do" he said. Lucy's lips parted as she took Wanda's arms and dragged her behind. "But you needed something more than a man. That's why you let Stark take the Scepter" he added. Lucy furrowed her eyebrows. The robot walked closer to them.

"I didn't expect, but I saw Stark's fear. I knew it will control him, make him self destruct" Wanda said.

"Everyone creates the thing they dread. Men of peace creates engines of war. Invaders create Avengers. People create... smaller people?" he said.

"Children" Lucy corrected, speaking up for the first time. He turned to her and nodded.

"Children! I lost the word there" he chuckled. Lucy looked up at the metal figure and furrowed her eyebrows in confusion. "Children designed to supplant them, to help them end" he said.

"Is that why you've come? To end the Avengers?" Wanda asked. Lucy's head snapped up and turned to Wanda.

"I've come to save the world" he said. "But, also.. yeah"

"End the Avengers?" she asked. Wanda nodded at her like it's an obvious thing. "Why?" she asked. Silence fell over them. Lucy could feel an argument coming, but she didn't care. She's done hurting them once, but not again.

"They're killers, Lucy" Pietro said. Lucy opened her mouth to speak, but was cut off by a robotic voice.

"How about we discuss this elsewhere?" he asked. Wanda nodded and turned to Lucy.

"Luce, teleport us back to the base?" she asked. Lucy shrugged.

"It's not that long of a walk" she said, turning around towards the door. A rage bubble is still building up in her chest. She has always hold it in. Every single time Wanda or Pietro insulted her father or the Avengers, Lucy always pretended to laugh along when she really wanted to put them in their places. But now she's at a point where she felt like she might explode.

"Lucy..." Pietro said. Lucy glared at them, but still walked closer to them.

"Hold my hand" she grumbled. Lucy could feel Pietro taking her right hand and Wanda taking the other. Lucy closed her eyes and imagined Strucker's secret room in Hydra's base. A surge of energy washed over her and when she opened her eyes she's back at the base. Except now it's filled with robots.

"We'll move out right away. This is a start, but there's something we need to begin the real work" he said. Lucy rolled her eyes and she followed inside.

"All of these are..."

"Me" Ultron said. "I have what the Avengers never will. Harmony" he said. Lucy groaned, which made all the heads turned. Pietro raised his eyebrows.

"Will you please stop doing that? It's getting really freaking annoying" she rolled her eyes. Ultron had the same confused face as Pietro and Wanda.

"Do what?" he asked.

"Shit talking the Avengers like you're not as worse" she said. Pietro and Wanda turned to her in shock.

"They're killers. Killers deserved to be killed" Ultron said. "Do you know how many innocent people were killed on New York? These two are living proof that Tony Stark is a killer!"

"Aliens flew down from the sky! Literal giant metal dragon looking things were floating on the sky and what do you expect them to do, huh? Fight in a boxing ring where no one will get hurt?" she argued. "And Tony Stark wasn't the one who dropped the bomb on Pietro and Wanda's apartment!"

"It had his name painted on the sides!" Wanda yelled. Lucy turned to her. "It was three feet away from my face and I waited two days for it to kill me" she said.

"Well, it didn't went off did it?" Lucy asked.

"No. But, it did went off on our parents" Pietro said. Lucy turned to him.

"And you think vengeance is going to bring them back? No, it won't. Because they're dead. Killing the only people that can protect this planet from whatever it is up there isn't going to help nor bring them back" Lucy said. Wanda's eyes were red as she held back the tears.

"It won't bring them back, but it will bring them justice" Pietro replied.

"There's a thin line between vengeance and justice" Lucy said. It was silent for a moment, before Wanda spoke up.

"You know, Lucy. If you disagree, you can just go" Pietro said. Lucy turned to him and he nodded. A small smile formed on Lucy's face, hiding her disappointment. Lucy nodded.

"Okay. It's fine, choose the metal man over the only person who cares about you two" Lucy said, her voice breaking. "He's not even a man! He's a whole ass weird robot" she rambled. Ultron looked offended, but she didn't care. "Just don't go around crying about it when you realized that I'm right" she said, before turning her back on them and walked away.

A part of her wished Pietro and Wanda will ran after her, but she knew what she did was right. Lucy's feet stepped on the cold snow and she stopped. She knew exactly where she should go. Lucy closed her eyes and visualized the big and tall tower in New York, before she felt a surge of energy washed over her. She opened her eyes, and she's home.

A/N

Guess what? I'm halfway done with the second book of this series ;)

-H