Chapter 26

Chapter 26

Wendy's POV

Yay!! I can't wait to explore! I go downstairs with Lucy nee-san behind me.

"Awwwww! You're so cute and adorable!" This "Dan" guy exclaims. "Come on, give me a hug!"

I look over at Nee-san. She nods, giving me her ok. I give him a hug.

"Oh my god!! You're so adorable! And my name is Dan. What's yours?"

"I'm Wendy." I say shyly.

"Ok, now that introductions are done with, let's go." Lucy nee-san says.

"Where are we going to go?" I ask her.

"I don't know. I don't really care either."

"Well, I just want to look around. Is that ok?" Dan asks.

"Yeah, whatever. But we'll have to walk everywhere 'cause I don't have a car at the moment."

"Ok."

Dan's POV

Gonna walk around with Lulu and her... sister? Cousin? DAUGHTER? What was Wendy?

"Hey," I say, crouching down to Wendy's height. "Is Lulu your mom?"

"Not really, but in a way I guess she is. I call her Lucy nee-san or Nee-san though."

"Oh. Ok then." That just made things more confusing. Was she one of Lulu's friend's sister or daughter?

"Hey Lulu, is Wendy, like, your sister or what?"

"She's just this kid I found on the rooftop of my school."

"So you just took her with you. Wow, Lulu. Kidnapping little girls."

"Well this little girl didn't know her parents names."

Awkward silence fell over us.

"Can we go now?" Wendy asks quietly.

"Yeah, ok," I reply.

----

Lucy's POV

I'm so bored. I mean, yeah it's nice to just walk around, but it's so boring.

"Nee-san!" I hear Wendy call me.

"What?" I ask.

"Isn't this pretty?"

"Yeah. Sure."

"But you didn't look at it!" she exclaims, pouting.

I sigh and turn to look at her. She's wearing a ridiculous bright pink scarf and posing like a model. I just sigh and shake my head. She pouts.

"Is it really that bad?" she asks.

"Yeah. Go pick something else out that's not so bright."

"Ok, I'm done looking at this shop. Onto the next one!" Dan exclaims.

I thought we were just going to walk around, but apparently Dan's "tour of the city" is going to the mall. The worst place in the whole fucking city.

"Ok!" Wendy exclaims and skips out of the store. How can she be so energetic?

"I'm going to get a smoothie," I say as an excuse for not going to another store.

"Ok, bye," Dan says distractedly.

"Can I go with you, Nee-san?"

"No."

"Whyyyyyy?"

"Because I said so."

"Pleeeeeease!" she says, giving me puppy dog eyes.

"No. Later, Dan."

"Mmhmm," he says while looking through a rack of clothes. I walk out and as soon as they disappear from my line of sight, I smile.

YESSSSSSS! Now I'm just going to get my smoothie and leave.

I walk over to the store and get my smoothie. I sit down in the food court and put my feet on the table.

I close my eyes and take a long sip.

"Lulu! Lulu!" I hear someone faintly calling my name.

Ughhhh. I'll wait until the voices get louder before I answer.

The shouting of my name stops.

"LULU!!" someone yells in my ear. I shout back just as loud and say, "WHAT?!"

"God, woman. Calm yourself. Wendy's been crying for you since you've left!" Dan replies, and Wendy comes running up and hugs me.

"Um, ok. Why?"

"I don't know. Ask her yourself."

"Why are you crying, Wendy?"

"My mom. She said that she would come back, but she never did," Wendy says, sniffling.

"Oh," I say, feeling awkward. I've never really known what to do in these kinds of situations. So I just kind of pat her head awkwardly.

But apparently that was the right thing to do because her sniffles stop.

"But you'll never leave me. Right, Nee-san?"

"Um..." I say at a loss for words. I don't know whether to say yes or no. To compromise, I just say, "Sure. I mean, I guess."

Wendy narrows her eyes at me. "Really?" she asks. "Do you promise?"

"Fine. Ok?"

"Pinky promise," Wendy says and holds out her pinky.

I sigh and wrap my pinky around hers.

Wendy smiles widely.

"Ok, so now that the touchy-feely moment is over, can we continue shopping?" Dan asks.

"Oh God no," I say quickly.

"Yes! Pleeeeeeease!!" Wendy says.

"Ok, then we'll go!" Dan says with a smile.

"Wendy, how could you betray me?! Side with me!!" I say. I am so over shopping.

"Come on, Nee-san! Let's go!"

"Nooooooooooo!" I cry while Dan drags me off to the nearest store.

----

Oh. My god. I am so exhausted. I look at the giant clock in the middle of the mall. 8:00.

"Nee-san, I'm sleepy," Wendy says and yawns.

I take her hand and pull her along. "Yeah, so am I, but Dan doesn't look like he's stopping anytime soon."

Dan walks into another store, and Wendy and I wait outside on a bench. Wendy nods off as soon as we sit down, and I get out my phone. I look through my texts and see that Flare has texted me a lot of times. It was mostly like "u have to see this!!" or "omg talk to me!".

"Done!" Dan says as he exits with two more bags. "I need help. Carry some of these bags for me."

"Hey," I say, shaking Wendy a little. "Get up."

Wendy still doesn't move so I push her more forcefully. "Kid, wake up!"

She only groans and buries her head into her coat.

"Here, I'll carry you. Get up."

Wendy crawls onto my back. I wrap my arms around her legs, and ask Dan a question.

"Can we go now?"

"Fiiiiiiiine. I'm not done yet, so we'll come back tomorrow."

"You're going by yourself tomorrow. I have better things to do."

"Ok!" Dan exclaims, and together we walked back to my house.