14.

[Text: Oscar] You're still here?

[Text: Maxie] Yeah... How do you know?

[Text: Oscar] I saw you on Maps. When do you go home?

[Text: Maxie] I don't really plan on going home. Wby?

[Text: Oscar] I don't either actually

[Text: Maxie] Why not?

[Text: Oscar] Kind of a fuss to go all the way to another country to come back a few days later

[Text: Maxie] Don't you want to see your family?

[Text: Oscar] Don't you?

Maxie and Oscar has been texting since their drive, not for too long every day but every now and then. He wasn't all that ready to forgive the blonde boy but he'd be lying if he said he wasn't growing on him.

As he did with Gwen, he felt drawn towards the potential of something good. All he wanted was people who he could rely on and feel secure with. He wanted people he didn't have to doubt himself with. Gwen went out of her way to make him feel comfortable and Oscar had already seen Maxie at his worst and vice versa. He felt like he didn't have much to lose there and even less of a reason to impress.

It felt nice not to feel like he had to accommodate himself.

All his house mates were gone. Olivia and Emmett made a spectacle of their departure, wearing summer clothes in the middle of December, ready for the airport. He wondered how they'd become so close in less than four months but then again it always seemed as though people always had an easier time at bonding than he did.

He was sad to see Daisy go and Chloe had quickly followed suit. He hated that he was back to pretending to be okay with her.

Perhaps Chloe had just assumed he now believed she was right. She couldn't be more wrong if that was the case.

[Text: Oscar] Do you want to do something?

[Text: Maxie] As long as its inside and doesn't cost any money

[Text: Oscar] I could come over?

Maxie looked up and surveyed his room. This was where he had met Oscar and the circumstances were rather jarring but even the mere thought of hanging out with Oscar alone inside felt more intimate. Would that even be okay? Olivia wasn't here and technically no one would know. How would it look?

Emmett's words had lingered in his mind.

The implication that his conversation with Oscar meant more than it had been was one that plagued his thoughts. Even Oscar's claim that he'd had a crush on him made him self-conscious. Was he physically attracted to him? Without a doubt, but he imagined almost everyone was. Even straight guys couldn't deny he was a good looking boy. Did things go beyond that?

He didn't think so and he wanted to keep it that way because he didn't want to get himself into more trouble.

He just wanted things to be good and easy and ultimately he wanted to be happy.

So far, all he'd managed himself was drama and pointless stress. No more.

[Text: Maxie] There's not really much we could do

[Text: Oscar] We could order food, watch a movie, talk about people who aren't there...

[Text: Maxie] Do I look like a 13 year old girl?

[Text: Oscar] Maybe 14

[Text: Maxie] Ha.

[Text: Oscar] Or you could come to mine?

Nope. Definitely not.

Maxie wasn't ready to go that far. If he was going to do this he'd remain in a space where he felt comfortable. It was a little selfish but he wanted this to go well, right?

He was definitely over thinking this, a habit he hadn't managed to shake off despite his insistence to stop doing that. He was starting to rely on it more again after a few instances of not thinking enough and making everything miserable for himself.

[Text: Maxie] Come over, we could definitely watch something

[Text: Oscar] Alright, I'll be there soon

Maxie leaped immediately. He got in the shower and quickly scrubbed his entire body clean. Not that he was planning on getting it out at any point but it was always good to make the effort. After drying off, he over sprayed to the point where someone could probably smell aftershave and deodorant on himself for about seventy-two hours. Heck, he'd even gotten dressed in nice clothes.

As he assessed himself in the mirror, he questioned everything.

He remembered the times he would make plans with Dean. He wouldn't even change from his pyjamas or even try and fix his bed hair. He'd stay comfortable and casual because he didn't feel he had to be anything else. Maybe if he'd made more of an effort Dean would have stayed interest. Maybe he would be someone he still wanted in his life at all, even if it was only physical attraction.

Was the fact he was making this effort a symbol of his feelings? Did he have romantic feelings for Oscar? He didn't know how to tell. He didn't want them but was he trying to disguise them himself?

No, he decided.

After Dean, he'd doubted everything about himself and this was all this was. Unnecessary worry.

He looked good today and there was no point in rewinding all that effort. Especially since time went by so fast Oscar was at his door.

He rushed down the stairs but was hesitant to open the door for some reason. After a second thought buried in a pause that felt longer than it was, he opened the door.

Oscar's smile was brighter than he'd seen it be for a while. Even in comfortable gray sweats, he looked desirable.

"Are we going out now?" Oscar asked, nodding at Maxie's clothes.

"No-" Maxie said instantly, looking down on himself. "No, uh, we're still staying here."

"Good, because I want to order from my favourite pizza place."

( Hey everyone, thank you for reading and commenting. Sorry about the slow updates. My last exam is tomorrow morning and updates should be back to normal, as well as reading! Hope everyone enjoys this little chapter! )