10.

Needless to say, Maxie was surprised to be invited out for dinner after that little discussion. He'd gotten in his head that Chloe must have told the others about the way he'd acted. He'd deliberately tried to avoid everyone and even when he received some niceties and polite greetings, he didn't believe they were genuine.

Even so, Daisy had sent him a text and offered for him to join them.

Avoiding them meant that he'd skipped out on a few eating opportunities and a cooked meal right now sounded good.

Chloe was acting normal, as if they hadn't had a tense exchange. He appreciated that but even still, the words left unspoken about made him more aware of her.

The guys were already there, Daisy's brother Bradley, Jackson from Oscar's band. Curiously, the guy Emmett had apparently had an exchange with was missing.

Oh, and of course, Oscar himself.

Maxie tried to position himself at the table as far from the boy as possible. Oscar sat at the end of the table while he sat in the middle of two people. Far enough.

The night went on with everyone acting normally. Bradley and Jackson appeared to be making their attempts at flirting with the girls (Emmett appearing as though he were a little disappointed this wasn't directed at him but laughing forcedly regardless.)

Even Olivia made a somewhat surprising show of flirting.

Not a single bit of eye contact with sent Maxie's way from the head of the table and he remained quiet. He didn't want to draw any attention his way, anyway.

He was incredibly embarrassed by what had happened. He felt humiliated and scorned. He felt as though people's impression of him was tarnished already and he didn't want to open his mouth and ruin that further.

Everyone was done with their food at this point and as per usual, they decided to move onto drinks.

He himself abandoned the table and was the last to get his.

"Hey."

Maxie's body perked to attention at the sound of the voice behind him, nerves soaring through him. "Hi."

Chloe stepped up to the bar and sighed. "Okay so... I was a bitch."

"No," he said, shaking his head. "I deserved that. I was in a bad mood and I took it out on you. You deserve better than that, especially considering how you helped me."

She appeared relieved and this allowed warmth to spread through his body.

"I'm still sorry. What I said was really harsh and I didn't mean it."

"But," he added, "you were also right."

Chloe appeared stuck, her eyes turning distant as she tried to find something to respond to with that.

Maxie turned fully to her. "I haven't really said thank you to you for helping me out."

"You don't need to thank me, its what family is for. And I haven't exactly been much family to you lately."

"Right back at you."

They smiled warmly at each other.

"I'm sorry that shit with our parents... you know. It got complicated but I'm sorry I let it distance us."

"And I'm sorry I stopped trying," he admitted.

Chloe came in and gave him a hug, briefly. "I promise that I won't stop being there for you, but I'll chill. You're stronger than I give you credit for."