six months

Today was mine and Adeline's six months. I know I was gonna seem like the bad guy today.

My plan was simple. Talk to Adeline normally, take her out without acknowledging what's going on, she'll start to get upset but won't say anything, then I'm surprising her. It sounds dumb running it through my head again, but I gotta trust myself.

I got ready for the day and saw a text from Adeline.

A: good morning love♥️
B: good morning sunshine!

I brushed my teeth and went downstairs to watch tv for a little bit. I messed with the promise ring I got for Adeline. I had Brian help me pick it out. Brian also mentioned he'd love to go look for other things, and glanced over at engagement rings.

I kept spinning the box between my thumb and pointer finger. I opened it and smiled.

While looking at it, I started to overthink

While looking at it, I started to overthink. What if she doesn't like it? What if she thinks it's too much? What if she gets too mad at me for not mentioning today being six months?

"Hey Joe?" I called Joe without evening thinking.

"What's up?"

"What if Adeline thinks this ring is too much?"

"She won't. She'll love it."

"What if she thinks I'm a dick for not mentioning our six months all day?"

"What's your exact plan? I'll help you."

"Well I'm gonna take her to dinner of course, but I'm gonna see if she wants to go on a walk before going to dinner. I have reservations and they're setting up the table with roses on her side. Like, I'm not forgetting anything am I?"

"So you're not mentioning anything about today being your six months, but you're going to see if she wants to go to dinner, you're going to park a little away from the restaurant, walk there, and then be like happy six months I love you, mushy stuff."

"Yeah, but I'm gonna acknowledge our six months while we're walking. There's a nice park right across the street, and they have a bridge over a small pond and it's like the movies, Joe. I want this to be like the movies. I hope this turns out to be like the movies." I sighed. "I've never put so much thought into anything like this before. I've never loved someone this much."

"I know buddy. I'm here to help. What do I need to do?"

"Well..umm I need Adeline to know I'm not a dick."

"I can hang out with her till you pick her up."

"Let me text her to see if she wants to go out, which I know she will."

"Let me know what's going on."

B: dinner at 7?
A: sounds good Benny, I love youuuuu
B: I love you tooooooo♥️
A: today's gonna be a good day
B: I hope so😁