Chapter 40

Friends — Chapter 40

I sliced my cake, not even minding the awkwardness in our atmosphere. I tried to maintain my cool in front of him, but I think by his stares, I can faint right away.

We decided to talk in the nearest café. The café where I saw Rachelle, since iyon lang naman ang malapit sa condo. That made me realize that Rachelle is just near around. Dito yata siya nagtatrabaho, the reason why I saw here.

Pero napagdesisyunan na namin na dito nalang kami mag-usap. Alangan naman na lumayo pa kami, 'di ba?

"So, kamusta ka na?" he started.

I stared at him for a while, before answering, "I'm fine," then paused to give a casual smile, "how about you?"

He grinned. "I'm doing well actually," he replied. "I decided to be a part of our family's business."

He looked really so sure about it. He really looked confident. But I knew he didn't want that. He told me. He told me he wanted something else... for his profession... for his career.

We were cuddling ourselves on the abandoned building's rooftop. Kanina pa kami rito tumatambay. Ubos na nga ang binili naming mga fries. Ang sarap ba naman kasi. Nagrereklamo nga si Ares na kung bakit hindi niya na ako tinitirhan. Pero wala na siyang magagawa dahil inubos ko na. All that left for him was the drinks.

"Since sa college pa natin sasabihin sa kanila ang tungkol sa 'tin..." he trailed, then eyed me intently. I also turned my attention to him. "What career would you like to get?" he asked.

"Career?" I repeated. "Kung anong gusto ko maging?"

He nodded.

My lips pursed, and turned it in to a smile. "I wanted to be a doctor someday," I said. "I want to be like my mother. Successful, and be able to help other people... Ikaw? Ano 'yung iyo?" I asked him back the question.

He shrugged. "Noon pa, gusto ko na talaga maging piloto," he answered.

I smiled at him. His dream is great actually. As I look in to his eyes, I can see the passion. I can really tell that he wanted that. And I know someday, if he'll ever be a pilot, I'm sure that he'll be the most successful pilots I know.

"That's cool," I commented. "You should really pursue it!" I encouraged.

He sighed heavily. "Nah, I don't know. I told about that decision to my parents, unfortunately, I don't think they'll be able to support me for that career," he said.

Kumunot naman noo ko. How come they can't support that? Problema ba sa finance? I totally am sure they can afford it! Ang yayaman kaya nila!

"Why not?"

"Mas gusto nila na ipatuloy ang business," he answered. "For the sake of the family name, and the company. Mas concern sila sa pakanan ng kumpanya, kaysa sa kasiyahan ko." He chuckled without humor, then shrugged coolly. "Wala na rin naman akong magagawa. Gusto nila 'yun, e."

I stared at him, as he was losing the passion for something. And all I can ever do right now, is to support him whatever, whenever, wherever he is happy. That's the least I can do... for him.

My eyes avoided his stares. My lips parted while waiting for myself to say something to him.

"Akala ko ba... Gusto mo maging piloto?" I inquired slowly, then looked at him intently. His lips pursed of my sudden question.

His expression was kind of surprised. He leaned back to his seat, and let out a heavy sigh.

He smiled. "Matagal na 'yun," he answered.