Epilogue I

Epilogue

Ares Brylle Montoya

"Papa!"

I smiled, when I saw her running towards to me. I just fetched Paige from school. When she already went near me, she gave me the warmest hug.

"How was school?" malambing ko'ng tanong sa kanya. I really love this kid. Despite the pain I had received the last five years, she's the one who gave light to my darkest hour. Since she came to this world, I was beyond happy.

"It was okay, Papa! I got a star!" she says, at tuwang-tuwa ipinakita sa akin ang braso niya na may mga stars. I showed her my grin. She never fails to amuse me.

"I'll treat you for ice cream. What do you say?" I offered her, though I know she'll already say yes.

"Okay, Papa!" she replied. She gave me a smile. "How about Mommy? Is her work done? So we can let her come with us!"

I smiled. I checked my watch, then faced her. "Your Mommy's not yet done with her work, anak. But we'll buy her ice cream instead, when we come home."

Then she nodded enthusiastically. I held her small hand as we headed to the car. I didn't had the choice. I married Quincy for the sake of Paige. Noong una, hindi ko kayang tanggapin si Paige na siya talaga ang anak ko. But time passed, I started to love her as my own—well, as what Quincy said, Paige is my own.

We were already eating ice cream at our favorite ice cream house. Paige's never failed on giving me queer stories about how her school was, or what cartoon did she recently watched. Wala na rin ako'ng nagawa kundi makinig at makipag-kwentuhan rin sa anak ko.

Then suddenly, her eyes darted on the bracelet that she has been wearing for years now. I gave her that as a present. I gave it to her, though it wasn't really mine.

"Where did you bought this bracelet, Papa? It's pretty," she commented.

I smiled at her, and held onto the bracelet gently. I chuckled a bit. "I took it from someone, when I was still studying."

She pouted. "Hmm. That was a long time ago, Papa," she answers. "You still kept this? And gave it to me?"

I nodded. "It has a sentimental value, anak. Since I value you, I guess it's okay to give it to you, instead."

Her forehead creased. "But this wasn't yours, Papa," she told me. "Wouldn't the owner be mad because you haven't returned this?"

I smiled even more. "Wala na rin siyang pakielam, anak," I replied. "She left years ago."

Her lips parted. "Who is the owner, Papa?" she asks.

I grinned. There's nothing wrong if I ever tell her the truth anyway. She will always be a part of me. I won't hide her from anyone. Ganon ko pa rin siya kamahal. She was still the one.

"Hmm. My ex-girlfriend," I answered her.

"Mommy?" she hinted.

I chuckled. "No," I say. "Her name is Xavierre. You can call her Tita Xav."

She pouted. "Is she nice?"

"Of course. If she ever meets you right now, for sure she'll gush on you," I told her, and pinched her cheek. I know how Xavierre loves kids. Especially when it's dear to her heart. And I'm sure, Paige will be dear to her heart.

"But, Papa," she gave a confused look, "it means that you still love Tita Xav?" My lips parted from what she said. Natawa na lang ako, at tumango. "How about Mommy? You don't love Mommy?" she asks in a downed tone.