chapter twenty

Some time passed and Spider-Man and Miss Steel were riding on a different truck, raging down down the road, crouching on the vehicle with the dark night sky looming behind them.

"One hundred meters from destination and closing."

The truck roared past a patch of grass right before the AI said, "Jump now."

Spider-Man grabbed Miss Steel's hand before they leaped off the truck and rolled down a grassy bank. The two collided together, landing with Spider-Man on top of Miss Steel. She grunted while he held in his gasp, staring down at her tensely while her annoyed look turned soft to find him staring down at her.

She had to force them both out of being absolutely consumed by each other so they could get this done. Because no one more than Emma Stark wanted to talk to Peter Parker about their relationship. If they even had one. So she pushed him off of her before jumping to her feet.

Spider-Man shook his head, not wanting to get distracted, but it was becoming hard with her flowery scent filling him up with every second he was around her. The two ran across the bank through the tall grass, approaching an abandoned gas station. But they faltered to a stop when the AI said;

"Detecting three individuals."

Together, Miss Steel and Spider-Man observed the gas station with close caution. It was dark, with a couple of trucks in its driveway. And absolutely quiet.

"Why is their secret lair in a gas station?" Spider-Man whispered and Miss Steel side glanced at him oddly, "That's so lame."

"Maybe because that's not their evil lair," Miss Steel whispered and he shot her an annoyed look.

She sarcastically smiled at him before she leaped up, flying up and landing on top of the empty gas price sign. He followed behind her, climbing up the sign and crouching next to her, the both of them staring at the only parked van intently.

"Hey, suit lady, what are they doing?" he asked.

"Do you want to hear what they're saying?"

Miss Steel's brows rose, realizing she was so close to him that she could hear the AI's voice. She settled herself closer to Spider-Man as he said, "I can hear what they're saying? Uh, yeah."

"Activating Enhanced Reconnaissance Mode."

The spider suit display closed in one the van showed inside the mask the heat signals emitted from the men inside. There were in fact three people in the van, quietly speaking to each other;

"I got the gauntlet from the Lagos cleanup..."

Miss Steel tensed up, the word Lagos sending her into a whirlwind.

"...the rest is all my design."

"Whoa, that's so cool," Spider-Man murmured, and Miss Steel knew he was talking about being able to hear them, but none of this... was cool.

"Can't believe they're still cleaning up that Triskelion mess."

"I love it. They keep making messes, we keep getting rich."

Miss Steel's brows furrowed, light tears covering her eyes as anger filled her up. She was slowly lining up the pieces of what exactly they were dealing with, and it was hurting her, physically, at how angry she was.

"Target inbound."

"Whoa, they're in the middle of a heist. I could catch them all red-handed. This is awesome," Spider-Man said.

"This is not awesome," Miss Steel murmured and he looked at her, "They're using disasters from battles with the Avengers to get rich... my family... their legacy, my legacy, everything we've been through... and they're using that to get rich..."