chapter thirty-one

Once arriving at Midtown High, Emma, Peter, and Allie had never been more relieved to be at school in their life. Walking past them were well-dressed teenagers walking to the entrance decorated with colorful balloons.

"Here we are. End of the line," Toomes said.

As soon as the car was in park, the teenagers began to flood out of the SUV. But when Emma, Peter, and Allie attempted to, Toomes said, "You three stay back."

Liz and Michelle, who stood outside of the car, glanced back confused. But Toomes simply smiled before saying, "I just have a couple of questions about Tony Stark is all."

The three teenagers knew that was bullshit. But the other two didn't have any reason to think he was lying.

"Okay," Liz nodded before she began to head into the school.

"We'll see you inside," Allie told Michelle, who nodded before heading inside as well.

Within seconds, Toomes turned back to the three. With a gun.

Allie glared at him, but before she could even attempt anything, Peter placed a protective arm over her.

"Does she know?" Toomes asked.

"Know what?" Peter asked.

"So she doesn't. Good," Toomed said as Emma narrowed her eyes at him, "Close to the vest. I admire that. I've got a few secrets of my own."

"Oh, we know," Allie said, and Peter nudged her with his foot.

Toomes cracked an annoyed smile, but Emma and Peter continued to not say anything. "Nothing is more important than family," he continued before glancing between Emma and Allie, "I'm sure you two know all about that." He then looked at Peter again, "You saved my daughter's life. I could never forget something like that. So I'm gonna give you one chance. Are you ready?"

They continued to stay completely silent.

"You will walk through those doors, you forget any of this happened. And don't you ever, ever interfere with my business again," Toomes sternly said, "Because if you do, I'll kill all three of you and everyone you love. I'll kill her—" He pointed at Emma with his gun, and she stared at it intensely, "—in front of you. And then I'll kill you. I'll kill you dead. That's what I'll do to protect my family. Do you understand?"

Peter nodded, unable to meet Toomes' eyes with Emma staying completely silent while Allie eyed him like he was stupid.

"You honestly dare to threaten an Avenger? And Iron Man's daughter? Do you have a death wish or, just naturally stupid?" Allie asked, and he looked over at her with an annoyed look.

"Allie, shut up," Emma quickly said before he could do anything, "We understand."

"Good," Toomes said before looking at Peter, "Hey, I just saved your life. Now, what do you say?"

Peter hesitantly raised his head and looked straight at Toomes. "Thank you," he said.

"You're welcome," Toomes said, "Now, go in there and have a good time, okay?"

The three of them just stared at him tensely for another moment before hesitantly climbing out of the SUV. As the girls stood on the sidewalk, Peter shut the car door behind them and they all watched as Toomes drove off, tense expressions over them.

Emma felt frozen in shock until Peter placed a hand on her shoulder, looking at him. Allie quickly thought to herself as Emma said, "He's going to kill them. Kill everyone we know. He knows where Alexandria Rodgers is in hiding, now. He knows who my parents are. My mother lives right across from him. I can't let anything happen to her— I just can't— This isn't about disobeying my dad anymore. It's way bigger than us."