Chapter 3

Next day.

Waiting for the bus again. I always make sure I look fresh for school. I'm wearing my brown, black, and white plaid flannel that has a hoodie, with jeans and brown shoes. As I was waiting for the bus I noticed this blonde chick a few houses down jump into her jeep, ready for school. She drove passed me looking at me for a few seconds before checking her lipgloss in her rearview mirror.

I heard the bus approach me.

"Murphy!"
Came the noise in the back as I got on.
"Quiet back there!" The bus driver yelled.
"Nigga, fuck you," I heared Marquis mutter aloud to the bus driver who didn't hear him.
As I make my way to the back I was surprised to see JoJo already on the bus. He looked tired and was yawning.
"Wassup," I gave them all dap.
"Nothing, homie," Trent said.
He was wearing his square, stylish, nerd glasses. I didn't give JoJo dap because I still didn't know the nigga. He didn't seem to notice. I sat down next to him because Marquis and Trent seemed like they were closer and they always sat next to each other. Me and JoJo were left to sit across from them. As I had sat down next to JoJo I noticed him move over a little bit and put his left elbow on his knee and cover the left side of his face with his left hand. I payed it no mind because at that moment I got a text. Rakim's name popped up on my cellphone screen. He was my main man back at home. I didn't know why all of a sudden he was getting in touch. All my homies back at home seemed to have forgotten about me. I opened the message and read.

Rakim: I didnt 4get bout u homie. Still missin u lik a muthafucka, come bak 2 visit nigga so we can chill lik ol times, these other niggas dont kno.

I chuckled. To Rakim I was the coolest and realest nigga he knew. And he was a loyal muthafucka, we had clicked. I had love for the boy. I planned on seeing him soon.

One of the first things that Marquis and Trent had asked me when I first met them was if I played sports. I entered this new school near the beginning of the year so I could have signed up for football, which I had played in the past and is really popular right now, but I didn't. Trent and Marquis played on the football team and Homecoming weekend was coming up. Flyers were all over the place.
I sat in one of the student common areas with Marquis, Trent and JoJo. Marquis and Trent were going on and on about the pep rally, game, and dance. All this didn't happen until October so I felt like the topic was still too early to talk about.
"Ya better be coming to the game. Especially you Murphy," Marquis said.
"Ya niggas already know I'll be there," JoJo inputted in that heavy bass voice of his.

That shit got me every time.

"Ya got dates for Homecoming?" Trent asked.
"I don't even know if I'm going, dances aren't my thing."
My eyes happened to have landed on JoJo and he was just looking down at the carpet. He sat in a chair next to the couch I was sitting in
"Oh c'mon, Murphy, you gotta come. Just find you a bad one and come through," Marquis grinned.
I shrugged.
"We'll see," I replied.
"Who you bringing?" Marquis asked Trent.
"Gina."
"The Spanish one that hangs with all them white chicks!? Niggahhhh."
"What? She's a cutie," Trent defended. I heard JoJo sigh.
"Whatever, I'm still looking though, what about you, Jo?"
JoJo looked at Marquis, his eyes were light brown; he had those "pretty boy" eyes and the piercing in his cheek was a nice, clean silver.
"I might not go."
"Why? Don't you usually go every year?" Trent asked.
"I gotta check my schedule," he said to the carpet.
"You buggin' today, Jo, you got a hangover?" Marquis asked and JoJo just smiled.
Trent and Marquis made a riotous noise with their laughter.
"Aight aight, I could already tell you were up to something last night."
Trent turned to me but was indicating to JoJo.
"This nigga was at some random ass house when the bus picked him up." JoJo laughed. I chuckled with them, though I didn't know how JoJo got down. I looked over at him and noticed for the first time that the piercing in his left cheek wasn't just randomly placed there. He had a dimple.

Damn, could he get anymore attractive?

"Hey, Jolen!" Some black girls said as they walked by.
JoJo waved.
Trent checked out the girls.
Jolen. JoJo.