Chapter 14

Christmas break was here and I was thinking about going back home to Section 1 to visit Rakim. I'll likely come through for a day or two so it wouldn't be a big deal.

My parents made a big deal about it because they forgot where they came from.

I had to remind them that Section 1 was my hometown and where my friends were. I threw some nice things about staying out of trouble and not staying long or out late. They eventually gave me a go. I even asked Jolen if he wanted to come with and he was beyond ecstatic.
"I never get out of Section 3," he said with a huge dimple smile.

We hoped on the bus the following day, it was best not to drive around Section 1 because dad didn't want one of his cars getting jacked.
"Section 1 is nothing like Section 3," I had to mention to Jolen.
It was a short ride and we were there within 32 minutes. Jolen was very serious and observant. I could tell he was out of his comfort zone; he almost clung on to me.
Rakim, all hood looking like, met us at the bus station. He approached me with a huge smile and a dap.
"What's up patna? Long time no see."
"Yeah it's been a minute, how the streets going?"
"Same ol', ain't nothing changed."
His eyes moved to Jolen, who he looked up and down.

Oh, shit!

How was I going to introduce Jolen to Rakim. I made an apologetic face at Jolen and then introduced him to Rakim as my best friend in Section 3. Jolen just nodded.
"You made friends out there?" Rakim asked.
"Yeah, nigga, there are black people out there."
Rakim looked surprised.
He took us to his place. He lived in the ghettoest part. I could see the drug dealers outside. Jolen looked unnerved. I noticed that every once in a while or so often Rakim would stare and study Jolen. Jolen hadn't spoke a word. I didn't know if Rakim felt threatened by him since he didn't know him.
At that moment Rakim's baby mama walked out with just a bra and boxers on.
"Who these niggas, Ra?" She asked with all attitude.
"You know Murphy and this his friend. They staying over."
"Where at, nigga?"
"We got room Tessia, get the fuck back in the room and put some damn clothes on."
They were shouting so that's when the baby started crying.
"Damn Ra, you woke up Junior," she yelled and stomped away.
Rakim shook his head and turned to Jolen.
"You have any baby mamas?"
"No," Jolen simply answered and Rakim's eyes changed in size.
I think Jolen's voice just intimidated him; he probably wasn't expecting that.

After that Rakim tried not to look at Jolen. We started getting settled, the couch was a pullout, so me and Jolen agreed to share.
"You ready to hit the street?" Rakim asked me.
We shared a chuckle.
"It's been a while."
"Nigga, don't worry, you ain't forget."

We went out. I hardly came around Rakim's neighborhood when I was living here. The gentleman in me kept Jolen away from the street and secure on the sidewalk. Rakim was rambling on about what was recently going on. "Oh, and your old girl, yeah man, she got knocked up with Sam's baby. Sam on Lamore Street."
That crackhead nigga? I wasn't even bothered.