Moonlight Frolic

Technically only District Thirteen was supposed to have access to the garden roof but, I scampered up the fire escape stairs without any Avoxes noticing me.

The moon shone bright but, you could hardly tell from all the lights from the city below. I peered over the edge of the glass railing for a while, watching citizens pass by in the late of the night. The harness was magical, the lighting was low set but, still showing off the varieties of flowers, roses, honeysuckle, bluebells, even primrose, common in District Twelve, grew here, a few other varieties I couldn't name were in bloom as well. They reminded me of my mother, she loved flowers, she had planter boxes hanging from the windows of our home and grew her favorites, roses, and carnations. Before my father became a waste of oxygen, he would bring my mother an orchid on their anniversary, her birthday, or any random Saturday but, then I came along and, my existence seems to make his life a living hell.

"We meet again," sweet voice drew out, snapping me from my thoughts. "Chase," I thought. "What brings you here?" She asks, plucking honeysuckle and tucking it behind her ear. "Fresh air," I respond stalely, wishing I could escape her presence. "That makes two of us," she replied. She was wearing a short yet flowy nightgown, the slight breeze rustled the hem of the skirt, hanging at her thigh. She wore a golden locket which I hadn't noticed before.

"What's the locket for," I inquire to break the silence but, mentally slapping myself for giving in to the temptation of asking. "My grandmothers," she responds. I leave the conversation from there, despite wanting to know more. "Come with me," she says, taking my hand and dragging me to a nearby swinging bench.

"She gave it to me when I was a little girl, it's one of the few pieces of home I have left," she explains after a moment of silence, her soft hand never letting go of mine.
"What happened to your family?"
"We ran away a few days before the Capitol was attacked, we were only found out this year when they couldn't find my brother or me in the sweep of the city, not marked as dead in the database. My parents and grandparents were killed but, my brother managed to escape to Mexico before he was caught," she explained, tears gathering in her eyes.
"I'm sorry. That's why you ran, isn't it?"
"Figured me out quickly," a tear rolled down her cheek. I wiped it away, her face was soft, gentle.

"My mother died the day they attacked our forces in District Two," I spat out.
"That's awful, I'm sorry for your loss,"
"Don't be, I just miss her," I said with a twinge on venerability. She leaned over and wrapped her arms around me. Her touch was warm and comforting, something I hadn't felt since my mother passed. She pulled away.

I kissed her.

__________
YALL IM HOLLERIN. I did not think that was going where it did but, it did. Oof, oof, I don't know why I'm surprised by my own story but, here we are, enjoy. Have a nice life.

~ Tori