We Ride At Dawn

Despite Vera's comfort, I found myself tossing and turning in the night. I knew I needed sleep but, the bed felt of rocks, the pillows disappearing, the covers as thin as air, leaving me there alone on the cold ground. The night was restless, to say the least.

I was awoken by a shake on the shoulder. "It's time," Ezran said, perhaps the first time I had heard him talk. We were up at dawn, the sun not so much as peaking through the Capitol streets.

We were ushered along to an aircraft and loaded on. The roof lights had been turned off this morning to prevent the public from seeing the hovercraft that would take us to the arena. They stuck trackers in our arms, the faint glow that resonated at the injection sight driving me mad. The majority of us are breakfast in silence, I sat alone, my heart still confused about where to be with Chase. I tried to force myself to eat, no matter how sick I felt, my stomach felt like a pit with no bottom. I poked at some oatmeal topped with little berries and honey and nibbled on a small Capitol bread loaf.

I eventually managed to shove food in my mouth and choke it down when the windows, that had previously beeing showing the lights among the Capitol skyline and the slowly rising sun, faded to black. "We must be getting close to the arena," I said absentmindedly. "Yeah."
"Jesus Christ!" I exclaimed.
I looked up to the seat across from me, there sat Chase, heart racing.

"Why are you here?" I grumbled out.
"I thought you might like to all about what happened the last ni.."
"We were reckless. We should have known there would have been cameras. You've been a distraction from the very beginning and I can't keep letting you distract me. I don't love you."
"I understand, living a long and miserable life is more important than a short, happy one," with that she walked away. My heart sank to the bottom of my stomach and kept rising again in anger. I didn't know what to feel anymore.

Under the cover of darkness, we climbed into the catacombs and were ushered to holding cells to wait for the Games.

Sometime, while waiting there, staring at the blank wall, I realized I shouldn't have spoken to her in the first place, they were still listening. I wasn't going to give them what they wanted, I won't give myself what I want. I just hope she dies before I have to kill her.

The door swung open and there stood Vera struggling to walk. I quickly stood and grabbed the door from her shoulder. "Thank you, Hunt, maybe heels weren't the best for these floors," she said lifting up her heel to show off her black stilettos. "Perhaps," I reply.

"Well these are your clothes for the arena," she said, gesturing to several plastic bags she had set on the wooden table across the room. I couldn't make out the colors in the dim light, the biggest light source in the room was the tube that would send me to my death.

"Are you alright?" Vera asked as she dressed me. "I heard things got heated between you and Chase."
"I don't want to talk about it. She's just a distraction, nothing more nothing less."
"You know that's not true, last night you told me you loved her, I can tell you still do."
"I won't give them what they want."
"I know, don't, you don't have to. Play your lone wolf tactic, they can find their story somewhere else," she finished as she slipped an olive green shirt over my head. "But," she continued, "Don't lie to yourself about not loving her. You know you do. You can shove those feelings to hell and back if you'd like but, don't lie, honesty looks better."

I went silent as my final preparations were being made, my hair swept up, ever strand on its perfect place, a jacket laid on my shoulders, and with that, we were done.

Vera and I chatted until the announcement was made that tributes needed to be placed on their platforms. "Don't forget to step off too early, you'll probably lose some of the young ones to that. When it starts, run, grab a pack, don't look back," Vera said. "There's something I need to tell you before you go. I've lied to you, I'm not a former stylist. I'm a.." she was cut off as the tube sealed and began to rise. "Victor," I read her lips through the glass. Then I was off.

I closed my eyes as I rose to the top, not wanting the sun to blind me. The clock read forty-five seconds. I took in the area around me, the golden cornucopia gleaming before me, ignoring my brain telling me to think of what Vera had said to me. There was a pack to my left, a quite large one, all I would have to do is pass two other tributes, the boy from two and the girl from eleven I believe, seemed easy enough, they wouldn't try to come after me, I'd overpower them, and could outrun them to the pack.

Twenty-five seconds.

To my right was Silver, the girl from District Eight, she was a threat but, she'd be trying to get her weapon before she got me. I'm not sure anyone saw me as a threat anyways.

Fifteen seconds.

Across the arena was Chase. Amaris was planted at the very top of the circle of tributes.

Ten seconds.
Nine seconds.

I readied myself to run

Eight seconds.
Seven seconds.

I felt Silver's eyes on the back of my neck.

Six seconds
Five seconds.

I have one final glance to Chase and Amaris.

Four. Three. Two.

One.

The horn sounded and we were off.

_______
Oh my lord. I feel like this chapter is really funky for some reason. I dunno how to write angst. I'm trying. I know I left you on a cliffhanger but, what else do you expect from me? Anywho, I hope you all enjoyed and have enjoyed your summer, mines almost over and I've done like nothing.

~ Tori