Chapter 11

The silence was deafening. 

Two strangers sat opposite one another. 

She looked just as uncomfortable as I did; she fidgeted with the hem of her shirt and her feet faced inwards. I got the sense she was shy and reserved. Something I could relate to. I was bursting to ask her a question, I had waited long enough for the conversation to start. 

"How did you know where I live?" I asked. She smiled to herself and set her hands down flat on her thighs. Her big warm chocolate eyes looked up and met mine.

"It's a long story but I'll tell you it if you want?" Her voice was barely audible, I had to concentrate super hard. I nodded and leaned forward in my seat. We were sat on the table in the kitchen, with a vase of lilies between us. 

Finally some answers, I thought. She gave me the sweetest smile and the corners of her eyes creased. I found her adorable looking. If it weren't for the reputation the old Lana had built up at school I would have instantly become her friend. But wait, what if she wasn't to be trusted too? What if something happened between Lana and Georgina that I don't remember? What if Georgina is getting payback for the bullying? Inside I was beginning to panic from all the possibilities but on the outside, I was as calm as a summers sea. 

"I know I just look like a stranger to you but I really do want to help, I owe you so much." What could she possibly owe me? I only had one memory of her and it wasn't a good one. 

"Why is that?" I replied. 

"Before we get into that I just wanted to give you something first," she pulled out a small folded piece of paper from her pocket and pushed it across the table to me. I glanced at the paper and back at her before picking it up and opening it. 

"Don't trust anyone, not even yourself. They are ALL hiding something." I read out loud. I looked up at Georgina with a puzzled expression. "What does it mean?" I asked as I read it over again. 

"I think it's a message the old Lana left for herself, she gave it to me a day before the...accident." She fidgeted with her fingers again, "I was out of town for a while and only just got back. I heard what happened and knew I had to give it to you." 

My eyes were glued on the paper, theories forming in my head. Did it mean Daniel too? Sapphire and Alice?....Sammy? No, not little Sammy. I shook off the thought and focused back on Georgina. 

"Tell me, were we ever...friends?" It was a stupid question but based on the actions Lana took, she definitely trusted Georgina enough to give her this note. She knew she would deliver and she did. Georgina smiled to herself and nodded. 

"With Sapphire and Alice you were so different," she started, "you bullied me a lot but that's in the past now. I was at a really low point in my life and ended up in the hospital. You were the only one that came to visit." Her eyes swelled up with tears but she pushed on. "You visited every week even though it was far. You would bring me flowers and we would talk for hours. You could say that we actually became friends, until the accident." 

"I'm sorry for all the pain I have ever caused you," I felt guilty for what happened to her, even though I didn't remember it, doesn't mean it didn't happen. It affected her so much and I was responsible for that. Was hanging out with Sapphire and Alice really that important that I bullied those that I cared about? Innocent people. I didn't want to be that person anymore. 

"Hey, it's okay!" Georgina's warmth melted away the guilt. Amongst all the pain and drama, I had made a friend. She understood and I was glad she was here. 

"Maybe this was meant to happen," I said in a low voice. Georgina raised her brow. 

"The amnesia?"